Broke off Zerk question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gettingrouper View Post
    I did get some air to go in Scot, but after re inserting the zerk , the grease still does'nt seem to want to flow, I will keep trying with some penetrating fluids , air etc. And yes the zerk works fine out of the housing...
    Actually after reinserting the air nozz, the little bit of air was actually coming from the stem on the nozzle of the air gun.. Done for the day, tired of messing with it...
    You've got us all curious as heck. I really want to see a pic or two.

Now, there's an old seaman trick for killing worms in a wood boat hull. They say heat up a wire with a torch and insert in the worm hole. Bam the worm is killed and then they patch and paint.

What if you heated a wire (something like the same bridle needle I spoke of before) and put in in your grease fitting hole. Maybe that will melt the hardened grease (if that is the problem) . Of course, now you have all kinds of flammable penetrant in there. Maybe just blow it out real good before you "Hot Wire" the thing.

Yeah, yeah... I'm crazy. But I sure do get a lot of things to work!

Good luck, don't give up!

Post some pics!!!
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Here's some pic's Ken sent me that I uploaded to PB,
      (didn't think you'd mind Ken for more input)

The fitting closest to the large nut:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

lots if corrosion from what I see

Comment

2013. Hard to imagine. Poking, slow drilling, more oil, etc. patience required

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            lots if corrosion from what I see
            So much corrosion for a low hour motor only a few years old.
            I have a feeling this motor was on a boat that was in the water docked most of it's life where stray current was existent. The corrosion and deposits appears to be mostly due to electrolysis.

Wonder if he sprays the corroded areas that have deposits with battery terminal cleaner with indicator, it would react by changing color?

This being said, will battery terminal cleaner remove electrolysis deposits? What about baking soda water solution?

I'd definitely check all anodes for and within the engine, clean and treat all corroded areas.
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Check everything! Stats water pump etc

Comment

as that grease fitting really does mostly noting I would not sweat it.

I would remove the steering cable annually and clean the tube.
                that is what the fitting is for but it does a pee poor job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  as that grease fitting really does mostly noting I would not sweat it.
                  almost as useless as the one behind the prop?

Comment

eggzachary.

simply remove the steering cable and clean the tube annually just like the steering system manufacture suggests.

Comment

Thanks Guys !! Will do as suggested, Yes the boat sat in the water for 2 years, the motor only has 200 hrs, I have a new trim tab zinc as well, under the hood seems spotless,, just the idiot who broke off the zerk did not have enough sense to make it right again.. I will play with it a tad more.
                      Thx for all the input
                      Ken

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        eggzachary.

simply remove the steering cable and clean the tube annually just like the steering system manufacture suggests.
                        Rodbolt17, Sent you a PM and I guess its full, any chance I can give ya a shout in a day or 2 ? Have a question
                        Ken H

Comment

I don't do much on the PM.
                          I try to keep it on the forum.
                          unless you wish to discuss firearms.

Comment

Working...
                          X