Grease gun stuck on nipple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease gun stuck on nipple

Hi everyone...I'm a newbie in this forum. I have a 2014 Yamaha F70LA, and I do my own winterizing (Canada, eh?). Last year, when I tried to grease one of the transom hinge nipples, my grease gun head would not release off the nipple. Eventually I broke the nipple, had to replace it, and could not get the broken part out of my grease gun head. So I bought a new flexible hose and head. Today, I was winterizing, attached the grease gun head to another nipple, pumped in some grease, and then experienced the same thing — the grease gun head will not come off the nipple. I tried everything...eventually removed the flexible hose from the head...then I clamped some vice grips onto the grease gun head and absolutely reefed back on it as hard as I could. It absolutely will not release off the grease nipple.

Anyone had this same experience? Am I doing something wrong...just pulling straight back on the head to remove it from the nipple.

Some grease gun heads are adjustable for how tightly they "hold onto" the fitting. Usually you can adjust that by twisting the end of the head. In other words, the head (barrell) is actually two pieces. It twists kind of like how you adjust a flashlight head to go from spot to flood.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
      Some grease gun heads are adjustable for how tightly they "hold onto" the fitting. Usually you can adjust that by twisting the end of the head. In other words, the head (barrell) is actually two pieces. It twists kind of like how you adjust a flashlight head to go from spot to flood.
      EXACTLY ^^^.. Its not the fittings.

There's usually an adjustment (only visible really by seeing a seam at the very end of the gun). Loosen that a tad and you should be good.

I have mine loose enough that I HAVE TO HOLD IT dead straight on or it squirts grease out the side/ pops off. Better that, then getting it stuck on..

You ALSO want to release the gun's hose by tilting it off to the side in relation to the zerk..

Holding it STRAIGHT ON the zerk fitting is the tightest point for the tightest fit and won't release.
      Tilt it off to the side to release

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-27-2016, 12:04 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

To add...

On hard to get to fittings, or for fittings that it's hard to keep the head on the zerk fitting (even with various attachments)... I'll slip it on, then tighten it a bit and pump the grease in, then loosen the head again. Of course, you can't always do that, depending on access.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
        X