Tach Alarm Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Alarm Testing

Hey gang. Finally got an operable tach and would now like to test the low level oil and high temp alarms. About a year ago I saw a post where someone detailed the procedure. I searched for it but came back with zilch. The tach I'll be testing is for a '98 S115WTLR.

Thanks!
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

For the oil system drain the main engine mounted main tank. Put the oil in the remote tank. Make sure the remote tank is at least half filled.

Clean, reattach and secure the sump that you removed to drain the main oil tank.

Turn the key to the on position only. Wait a bit. The horn should sound. The tachometer should indicate a low oil condition. Oil should begin to flow from the remote tank to the main tank. When the main tank is about half filled the alarm should stop and the low oil indication on the tachometer should go away.

For the over temp connect the engine side pink wire and the black wire that are normally connected to the thermoswitch. Turn the key on. Wait a bit. The over temp icon or light on the tachometer should flash/be on. The horn should sound.

Comment

Easy enough. Good stuff bossman, thanks. Just to confirm with you the correct connections for testing the high temp alarm, see pdf attachment. #1 is the Thermo switch. Take the Black and Pink wires coming out of Thermo switch and connect these two? Do I have this correct?
      Last edited by Jason2tpa; 11-15-2016, 02:45 PM.
      Jason

Comment

Do not connect the two leads from the thermoswitch. Connect the two wires that are connected to the thermoswitch and which are part of the engine harness.

I see now that your motor uses a gray/black wire and a black wire. Connect these two wires together. Damn Yamaha and their non-consistent use of wire colours.

See below.

Comment

Ah ha, that now makes more sense. Yea im learning more with experience about Yams inconsistent wiring diagrams. Good thing we have a forum like this one to clear up the confusion. Thanks again bud.
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          X