F175 vs F200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F175 vs F200

Looking to toss out the Honda 150 off my 21' Proline WA and replace it was a Yamaha.
    Dealer pointed out that the F175 uses 86 Ocatane but F200 requires 91 Octane so may not be available at some marinas.

Other than the Octane issue, which would be a better motor to upgrade to?

I suspect they are basically the same motors?

From a quick look, as expected I see the intake cam differs, and the ECU

In the past, on the few occasions I've seen published power curves on similar tuned / detuned models,

the HP difference only came on in the last 1000 rpms; through midrange they were fairly close.

So are you a WOT type of guy?

If not, you might not even be using the extra 25 hp of the 200

even though you would be "paying for it" every time you fill up.

And the 175 will still give you 25 more than you have been living with

Comment

It would be interesting to see the power curve on the V6 F200 versus the four cylinder F200. Would you be giving up hole shot power? Fuel consumption probably better at cruise on the four cylinder.

Comment

I thought I read the F200 4 cylinder required 89 octane.

Comment

Although another thing is the propping -

and a factor which I have never understood, or seen discussed:

assume two engines do, in fact, match fairly closely through the power curve -

up until close to WOT when there's a substantial difference;

since the convention for propping is performance at WOT

potentially they would get two different props

Then, at a mid-range rpm, where the power output of each is actually pretty close -

the performance is going to be significantly different - because of the prop

Comment

Yamaha site says 89 minimum for the F200 4 cylinder. As I have said before, most boat dealers are really terrible.

Comment

The OPs numbers are both wrong - but "regular" is 87, yes?

so the situation is the same.

Unless he's in a state where he's going to be buying "REC 90"

then it doesn't matter

Comment

Probably 3 gas stations in a 50 mile radius of here that sell 91 Octane Marine Fuel. Most stations sell 89 around here. I wonder if Boscoe has any torque or power info on these motors at various throttle settings?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  Probably 3 gas stations in a 50 mile radius of here that sell 91 Octane Marine Fuel. Most stations sell 89 around here. I wonder if Boscoe has any torque or power info on these motors at various throttle settings?
                  Nope. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

All of the engine makers keep their torque and power curves close to their vests. Hidden under the guise of "proprietary" data. As in data they don't want the world to see. Same as with engine sales by month, year, model, etc.

In the words of the good sergeant schultz "I know nothing".

Comment

Wondering if a 21' Proline WA is rated for a F250? Seems like it would be. That would be the choice. If you are going to spend 18G, might as well spend 20G.

As far as the power/torque info, I guess it is up to the consumer to wrangle a few test rides before buying. I can say it would be difficult here to find a "redheaded stepchild" V6 F200 in a single config. Plenty if I-4s, 250s 300s etc. I would hate to be disappointed after spending that kind of cash.

Comment

I have never seen an F175. Wonder if the fine dealer is trying to unload one....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        I have never seen an F175. Wonder if the fine dealer is trying to unload one....
                        Only been out for a couple of years. Kind of an oddball HP IMO. Most dealers won't stock a lot of motors given the cost to buy and warehouse one. So much easier to simply order from Yamaha if and when needed.

Only if the boat rating limits the HP to 175 would I choose one. Even then, I might consider the tried and true F150 which has been around for years and has a sterling reputation.

When it comes to the I4 F200 and the V6 F200 I would always choose the latter unless I had a boat that simply could not handle the weight.

Lots of stuff to consider when choosing a motor. I bought a V6 F200 and it was a fine motor. Powered my boat just fine. Should have bought the F250 however. Resale. Many many want a used F250. Not so with the F200.

Comment

Don't know about Yamaha, but Suzuki will offer dealer rebates to unload excess inventory from time to time. Counter rotators for example. My boss took one, hook, line and sinker. 2011, dealer stated no DF250's were available due to the earthquake in Japan. But they did have a counter rotating model available......

Seems unlike a dealer to try to push a lower hp model.....

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
                            Looking to toss out the Honda 150 off my 21' Proline WA and replace it was a Yamaha.
                            Dealer pointed out that the F175 uses 86 Ocatane but F200 requires 91 Octane so may not be available at some marinas.

Other than the Octane issue, which would be a better motor to upgrade to?
                            I guessed at your year Proline 21 W/A and Honda motor at 2005? Max HP rating is 200.
                            Were you happy with the Honda 150 performance? Do you want more performance? The Honda 150, Yamaha F175, and F200 all weigh about the same and either Yamaha will outperform the Honda. Are you willing to spend the extra about $2K for the F200? The F175 has only been out about 2 years and appears to be a de-rated F200?(Reliability?) Concerned about resale value?

I'm no boat motor expert, but I'd make sure whatever motor you choose is mounted at the proper height to ensure maximum performance.

Better motor to upgrade to, all about your preference in the use of your boat.
                            Personally, I'd go with the F200.
                            Chuck,
                            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                              I guessed at your year Proline 21 W/A and Honda motor at 2005? Max HP rating is 200.
                              Were you happy with the Honda 150 performance? Do you want more performance? The Honda 150, Yamaha F175, and F200 all weigh about the same and either Yamaha will outperform the Honda. Are you willing to spend the extra about $2K for the F200? The F175 has only been out about 2 years and appears to be a de-rated F200?(Reliability?) Concerned about resale value?

I'm no boat motor expert, but I'd make sure whatever motor you choose is mounted at the proper height to ensure maximum performance.

Better motor to upgrade to, all about your preference in the use of your boat.
                              Personally, I'd go with the F200.
                              Always better to max out the h.p. No one has ever said "I bought too much power". But, what is better? V6 or I-4? I suspect the V-6 has much more low end torque....

Comment

Working...
                              X