200hpdi power head rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200hpdi power head rebuild

2003 200 Hpdi one piston is bad I have talked to a couple of shops they said bore out that one and leave the rest alone. My question why wouldnt you bore all cylinders the same.? Won't that leave an unbalnced motor. Then a couple shops said the would use the old bearings i never heard of that. Please help

not sure what kind of help is needed, but you can replace all of the parts you want, even if some are good
    it just costs more

Comment

thank you i guess my question is A few machine shops want to rebuild the complete power head which i understand but half say only bore the one that is damaged and go back to STD on all others. i know in a car you would bore all cylinders,Why not on an outboard?

Comment

Rodbolt?

Originally posted by marlago 31 View Post
        thank you i guess my question is A few machine shops want to rebuild the complete power head which i understand but half say only bore the one that is damaged and go back to STD on all others. i know in a car you would bore all cylinders,Why not on an outboard?
        What would a Yamaha Master Mechanic do?

Rodbolt?
        Chuck,
        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Has the block even been inspected yet? It might be possible to repair the damaged cylinder without having to bore it. Possibly the damage can be cleaned up with a hone only. Maybe only new rings are needed.

Another issue if what if only the one cylinder is repaired. Motor goes back into service and then another cylinder fails. Thinking is to blame the shop that repaired just the one cylinder. Some shops don't want to take this hit and will only rebuild the complete block maybe with all new pistons and rings.

Some shops may only install a new power head from Yamaha as opposed to repairing a damaged block.

Comment

I believe Rod in the past said he does not do it half way, so no chance of it coming back for a redo.

But would he bore all cylinders the same because of just one needing it, I do not know, he will have to say himself

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I believe Rod in the past said he does not do it half way, so no chance of it coming back for a redo.

But would he bore all cylinders the same because of just one needing it, I do not know, he will have to say himself
              I hope he will ring in on this subject. Would be interesting to know.

15 different mechanics more than likely will repair a damaged motor 20 different ways. While all arguing that their way is the bestest and only way.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                I hope he will ring in on this subject. Would be interesting to know.

15 different mechanics more than likely will repair a damaged motor 20 different ways. While all arguing that their way is the bestest and only way.
                Being that there is more than one way to skin a cat...

In an ideal world, I would hope a qualified mechanic/service shop would say something like this:
                Based upon our initial inspection we have found XYZ. We may have to do X, Y, and/or Z to solve your mechanical problems. This may cost from $ to $'s. In order to give you more specifics, we have to do a tear down, inspect clearances and conditions. This will cost you $. Afterwards we will discuss and give you our recommendations and other choices for you to make that may not be as reliable as our recommendations for you to make depending on situation.
                Chuck,
                1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

from my personal experience
                  it depends how bad cylinder damaged
                  both cylinders on picture required re-boring to next size up
                  however rest cylinders were perfect condition and pistons returned back,
                  but with new rings, their cylinders wall were only fine-polished.
                  but it required to remove and strip block
                  and more importantly, block was washed of shavings, religiously.
                  Only one of five shops I visited at the time of repair, agree with me
                  other shops were giving me "re-bore all to avoid dis-balance" bs
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by amahaork; 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

mostly depends.
                    who it is for?
                    what use ?

I did a friends 120 looper 85 model.
                    he lapped the reed boxes to solve a spit back problem.

he forgot to Loctite 1 reed screw.
                    that is the one that damaged #3 cyl.
                    bored #3 30 over,replaced the rings on the other 3.
                    replaced the bottom main bearing.
                    reused the rest as they passed inspection.

this wwas in 1994.
                    I bought the rig in 1998.
                    I sold the rig to a bulkhead company in 2005.
                    motor is still in service and I see it go by occasionally.

if you decide on reusing the non damaged pistons and one fails it wont be warrented unless improper assy can be blamed.
                    I wont warrenty YOUR used parts.

on the bearings, if they haven't had metal run through them and they don't show blue marks you can typically reuse the roller type.
                    ALWAYS replace the bottom main ball bearing.
                    same with cranks and connecting rods.
                    if they pass a mechanical and visual inspection reuse them.

NEVER reuse a rodbolt.

at the end of the day it is your money and your rig.

Comment

Working...
                    X