2012 Yamaha F250XA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Yamaha F250XA

Good afternoon from Charleston SC: I am considering repowering my 1994 2200CC Hydra Sports from its 1994 Evinrude 225 Ocean Pro 2 stroke (1300 hrs) to a 2012 Yamaha F250XA 4 stroke (900 hrs). This would be my first 4 stroke engine. I need to replace the Evinrude because I have one cylinder that is going bad. My criteria is to get another 3 years of use from my boat (before upgrading to a much newer rig) at a modest price. I can either overhaul the Evinrude ($4,000) or buy a used 2012 F250XA ($8000 complete). So I'd like to get some thoughts about this F250 in the areas reliability, maintenance costs & repair issues, known performance weaknesses, and am I in for a let down on power with the 4 stroke vs the Evinrude? Other thoughts or advice based on repowering experience are welcomed. Thank you, Jim

I would have the F250 checked out throughly by one of the Yamaha Master Techs in your area. I believe there are two based on an earlier search. Check any warranty work done and I'm sure they will check it with the Yamaha software. People I know that have the F250 love them. Including fishing guides with 2000 plus hours....

Comment

I think making option A be

"put $4000 into a 1994 2 smoke"

is an automatic win for option B

but that's just my personal opinion....

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        I think making option A be

"put $4000 into a 1994 2 smoke"

is an automatic win for option B

but that's just my personal opinion....
        Devils advocate here, is the same person selling the F250 the one telling you $4000 to fix the 2 stroke? 2nd opinion perhaps? Just a thought.

Comment

Don't know much about the F250, but how was the "one cylinder going bad" diagnosed"?
          Consider any significant weight differances between the Yammy and the Evernewer. Your boats rated 250hp max? The Yammy change includes all necessary rigging changes and labor? Do you think you can recover the cost when selling the boat. Your decision.
          Chuck,
          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Working...
          X