1993 Yamaha P115TLRR Charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Yamaha P115TLRR Charging issue

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice on an intermittent charging issue I just started having with my boat. The motor is a 93' Yamaha Pro-V 115 2 stroke. First I'll explain the conditions.

Motor has been running perfectly and is used several times a week. Yesterday, when running about 4k rpms across the lake an alarm came on and the rpms on the motor slowed to about 1800. The battery indicator on the speedo gauge began showing around 10.5 volts. The alarm remained on with the engine on and off as long as the ignition was turned on. The engine would still run and idle perfectly and would cruise at 1800 rpms but nothing higher with the alarm sounding constantly. I stopped the engine and let the boat sit for a few minutes and the alarm eventually went off and the battery voltage went back up to mid 12's without the engine running so it seems to be a false voltage reading. Once alarm went off the motor would start right up and begin running WOT again. After getting on plane again and running for a minute under load the alarm would come on again and the battery gauge showed 10-11 volts and wasn't charging again. Whenever the alarm is off and the engine is running normally the battery is charging perfectly at about 13.8-14.6 volts but randomly the gauge drops to 10-11 volts while running and the motor slows back to 1800 rpm. This happened several times on the way back to the ramp and all I would have to do is turn the motor and battery switch off for a few minutes and let it sit. Turn the switch back on, no alarm, and the battery is charging fine and motor running with no issues...

My first thoughts are a rectifier that is overheating just from past experience with other boats but I also suspect a possible battery that could be going bad. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!

test battery and clean all connections.
    bad connections or cables will cause problems

Comment

Working...
    X