tiller handle broken spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiller handle broken spring

I have FT9.9ELK 1985 Yamaha with a broken spring #6G8 42147-00-00 I can not find one to replace it,part is obsolete. I Made one from a heavy peace of wire but it dose not work very well. looking for some good ideas, sniperlad

Why not just buy the latest part number that supercedes the -00-00?

1987 FT9.9ELH Yamaha Outboard STEERING Diagram and Parts

Comment

you would think if you ordered the 00-00 they would substitute the 01-00 automatically if it would work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        you would think if you ordered the 00-00 they would substitute the 01-00 automatically if it would work properly.
        They would. I think.

I suspect the OP is getting his advice from some website verbiage and this is not what a Yamaha dealer told him.

Comment

shift spring

There are three different dealer hear and they all referred me to finding a used part somewhere. Yes I did discussed a newer model spring but was told it did not supercede so they did not think it would be the same. Maybe I should order the 6G8 42147-01-00 and try to make it work any way.

Comment

Originally posted by sniperlad View Post
            There are three different dealer hear and they all referred me to finding a used part somewhere. Yes I did discussed a newer model spring but was told it did not supercede so they did not think it would be the same. Maybe I should order the 6G8 42147-01-00 and try to make it work any way.
            Isn't the spring in the links (#16 in the diagram) what you are looking to replace. It is available in stock.
            1985 FT9.9ELK Yamaha Outboard STEERING Diagram and Parts
            90501-23M42-00 YAMAHA SPRING,COMPRESSION
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

tiller with broken spring

no that is a coil spring I need a wire spring part#6G8 42147-00-00 I ordered a 1987 model 42147-01-00 which is a flat spring steel formed the same in the middle but I will have to figure out how to fasten one end, maybe solder a flat washer on. I'll have to brain storm more once I get it. It's coming from Japan so may be awhile. I made one out of a bicycle spoke --aw it works! the old one was broken for awhile and it is a lot better than that. I would like to get it a little better if I can.

Comment

If the new one doesn't work, it'd be very possible to get a re-coil starter from a mower or depending on the size, a weed eater (smaller width). My local mower shop lets me junk pick what I want as long as I ask(so probably free)..

Pull the unit apart to access the actual recoil spring and cut it down to fit.

Cut it down with a cut off wheel...
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by sniperlad View Post
                  no that is a coil spring I need a wire spring part#6G8 42147-00-00 I ordered a 1987 model 42147-01-00 which is a flat spring steel formed the same in the middle but I will have to figure out how to fasten one end, maybe solder a flat washer on. I'll have to brain storm more once I get it. It's coming from Japan so may be awhile. I made one out of a bicycle spoke --aw it works! the old one was broken for awhile and it is a lot better than that. I would like to get it a little better if I can.
                  Ahh, so the replacement Pt # 6G8-42147-01-00 is different from the original 6G8-42147-00-00?
                  Chuck,
                  1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Working...
                  X