Need Help -- Can't remove screw holding Trim Tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help -- Can't remove screw holding Trim Tab

I was trying to do some remedial maintenance on my F150 Yamaha and got too aggressive trying to change the Trim Tab on lower unit. My socket totally trashed the head on the screw and now I can't finish the job

What is tool or secret process to finish

About the only thing you can do is drill or break the anode off, being careful not to damage the cavitation plate, that bolt is a 12 mm by the way. About the only way you can damage the head of the bolt is use the wrong or a cheap socket.

Comment

I used a cheap socket it seems -- sounds like the fastest/safest way is to take a saws-all and cut the the anode/trim tab and bolt off -- sound right?

Comment

I'm sure Sequoiha has done it , which is why he suggested drill or break

sawzall would be the worst option:

you've got the maximum amount of metal to go through
        your almost assured to chew up the skeg

you're not going to get the bolt anyway - its recessed

and you still have to drill / chisel the stub off the bolt

Now, a 1" bimetal holesaw might quickly get you to where you need to work
        if you didn't go too deep...

Last edited by fairdeal; 09-10-2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

A roto zip/orbital will make quick work of that. Can be pretty accurate with a small blade.

Comment

I would try to drill the head of bolt just big enough to make the head fall off, so the rest of bolt and anode comes out the bottom.

if you cannot get to that easy enough, then work on the anode softer metal some how.
            I kind of like the idea of a hole saw just big enough to slip over the bolt shaft.

But will have a hard time lining it up to the bolt if the anode is still all intac
            Last edited by 99yam40; 09-10-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Once the bolt is visible, I'd drill around the circumference of that bolt with a 1/8" drill but not too deep, then use a chisel tapping thru the drilled holes. That should break it loose. Best of luck.

Comment

Maybe drop to the next size smaller on your socket, then tap it down with a small hammer onto the buggered up bolt head enough to get a grip on the bolt...if you have some old sockets laying around you can grind/modify one to fit over whatever is left of the bolt head.....good luck!

Comment

Solved the problem with a shade tree mechanic solution -- a friend drove an 11mm socket onto the reming head of the screw and shazam we were able to finish unscrewing the thing and replace the zinc. My buddy and the manager at my local Ace is the place manager said that was the soluton and it really worked.

THanks to everyone that chipped in...

Comment

Good to hear!

I assume you also bought a quality 6-point 12mm socket.....

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      Good to hear!

I assume you also bought a quality 6-point 12mm socket.....
                      A good set would be even better

Comment

Working...
                      X