Yamaha C40TLRA w/703 Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha C40TLRA w/703 Controls

I am not quite sure what all information would be relevant, but I have a c40TLRA 40 hp Yamaha on a 15.5" boat w/ Yamaha 703 remote controls.

There is not enough throw on the throttle handle to open the motor wide open; it appears to be 5/8 throttle. Anyone seen this before? I have googled this for hours now...

I have to pull the cover to open it up all the way. I say 5/8 from the stroke to push the ramp to full throttle and the choke plates in the carburetor.

No sure if this is the situation but I have seen 703 control boxes mounted backwards. Folks then use the reverse throttle to go forward and the forward throttle to go forward. Complete bassackwards.

How is your control box mounted? How is the throttle cable connected?

If you shift into reverse and go to the extreme position do the throttle valves go to the wide open position?

There are no choke plates on a C40TLRA by the way.

Comment

It appears to be mounted correctly. I replaced the throttle cable as well - it was dry-rotted and i thought that might be the issue, but it was not.

The lever is push-type and i do not really see a way to mount it backwards, not without some serious oddities going on.

The throttle cable is connected properly and seated correctly. However, believe it or not, when we installed the new cable the "little connector with the pin that screws onto the cable lead..." was upside down and hitting at ~1/2 throttle (still wasn't the solution, but was very strange as it clearly says "UP").

This boat is a 2002, hardly used and we purchased it about 2 weeks ago. I have had to completely re-run all the wiring and installed a fuse box with a disconnect. There is no way that mess came OEM; the fish-finder was on the same circuit as the bilge pump...

Below is the "choke plate" i was referring to, not sure the proper name, but they will not open fully unless i push the bar or the ramp all the way.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like the cables are connected at the engine backwards as Boscoe posted.

Shifting into gear, that cable doesn't extend as far as the throttle cable does (thus your 5/8 throw).

Can you disconnect both cables at the engine?

Then shift the control just enough (as if going into gear) and make note of that
        cable as it's your shifter cable.

Shift farther forward, that other cable should extend out farther and be your throttle cable...

Obviously, install the cables in the correct positions.

There should be marks on the engine shifter "slide" that should be lined up when attaching the shifter cable.

Bottom line, (normal shifting into gear), the first cable to extend is the shifter.
        Once in gear, the throttle cable extends as the throttle is pushed forward..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-07-2016, 10:39 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Suggestion...

Invest in Genuine Yamaha Service Manual for you engine. Don't rely on "Google".

In that manual there should be a chapter for "Inspect/Adjust".
          Under that chapter there should be a specific section for "Control". A "Maintenance Interval Chart will be included".

Something like this...
          CONTROL SYSTEM:
          Throttle link Inspection/Adjustment
          Throttle cable Inspection/Adjustment
          Shift cable Inspection/Adjustment
          Start-in-gear projection Inspection/Adjustment
          Idle speed Inspection/Adjustment

Under Yamaha's "Maintenance Interval Chart" this should be done every 100/6 and 200/12 hours/months, depending on the specific Inspection/Adjustment above.

I believe if you do these procedures you will solve your problem and become familiar with the controls operation and maintenance thereof.
          If after these inspections/adjustments are done, and you still have a problem I would then look into the remote.

Attached are pages from a 40C model (not yours) for an example.
          Good luck!!!

9/9/2016-Had trouble attaching large file. It is now attached with less pages.
          Last edited by cpostis; 09-14-2016, 10:21 AM.
          Chuck,
          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Can you take and post a photo of the control box?

Comment

Don't know if this is relevant or not, however may give you some insight.

Yamaha 703 Control- converting pull to push
              Chuck,

Comment

Has the OP determined if the cables are reversed at the engine as mentioned previously?

Comment

No, I haven't figured it out quite yet. I had to install a fuse box and rewire the entire boat.

Now I'm back to throttle control... took it apart to try to see what was going on and I can push the throttle arm in the control box to wide open manually, but there is no tension on the control arm to push it there. I took some pictures as well, but can't upload from my phone, will get them in later. Edit: Added pics

I have also read the manual and googled for hours; seems to be a very uncommon problem.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Locke2904; 09-11-2016, 06:29 PM.

Comment

There should be an adjusting screw to loosen or tighten tension on the throttle.

Part #6:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...USH/parts.html
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      There should be an adjusting screw to loosen or tighten tension on the throttle.

Part #6:

2006 and Later Rigging Yamaha Outboard CONTROL STANDARD SIDE 703 PUSH Diagram and Parts
                      Yup thats on the right side - little flat head sticking out, it just tightens and loosens the lever itself; same issue fully torqued or pulled off. That screw just tightens a clamp behind the throttle arm making the lever easier or harder to push/pull; doesn't appear to affect the angle of the arm at all.

Comment

did you ever say how far it opens the throttle plates when put into reverse all the way?

Comment

The Image shows a "Push" control

Unless I'm missing something, seems to me you have plenty of adjustment within the red area in the pic to make up what you need. Looks like the threaded linkage is in way too far (I may be wrong).

Did you follow the Insp/Adjust for the Control Section of the Yamaha manual, You must do this first in sequence as the manual states.

Again, something like this.

Last edited by cpostis; 09-11-2016, 07:25 PM. Reason: deleted repeated words
                          Chuck,

Comment

Perhaps a stupid question, are both cables the same length?

Where I'm going is (if they are different), if their possibly attached on the wrong arms in the control box..?
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                              The Image shows a "Push" control

Unless I'm missing something, seems to me you have plenty of adjustment within the red area in the pic to make up what you need. Looks like the threaded linkage is in way too far (I may be wrong).

Did you follow the Insp/Adjust for the Control Section of the Yamaha manual, You must do this first in sequence as the manual states.

Again, something like this.

Adjusting this also increases the idle with the lever "at rest". The manual doesnt have the adjustment section mentioned, it only has a section on changing the lever from one side to another, swapping to push/pull, and the screw to tighten the lever's resistance/loosen.

Comment

Working...
                              X