Motor wont shut off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor wont shut off.

Hi, brand new here hoping for some help. We have a 2012 Seventy HP 4 stroke Yamaha engine on a pontoon. It has been a great engine. We put the boat on the boat lift after July 4 and it has sat there until this week. Went to start the engine and nothing. Just dead like the battery was dead, but it wasnt. Tilt and trim was dead also. Found the main power 15 amp fuse on top of the engine was blown. Replaced it and the boat cranked right up and the tilt and trim works too. Turned the key off but the motor stayed running.......LOL. Pulled the lanyard off the kill switch and it still keeps running. Shut the battery power off and it still runs. I finally bumped the key to start which engaged the bendix for an instant but the engine shut off. I guess I could have unplugged the fuel line but didnt since that is very difficult to do on this pontoon. I have no manual or wiring diagrams yet but I keep thinking something simple has happened and I just dont have enough knowledge on this thing to know what. A bad diode in something allowing a backfeed keeps running thru my mind. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? We have a place on the lake and the boat is there but I am going back down tomorrow with the trailer so I can get it on land and can work on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Real McCoy View Post
    Hi, brand new here hoping for some help. We have a 2012 Seventy HP 4 stroke Yamaha engine on a pontoon. It has been a great engine. We put the boat on the boat lift after July 4 and it has sat there until this week. Went to start the engine and nothing. Just dead like the battery was dead, but it wasnt. Tilt and trim was dead also. Found the main power 15 amp fuse on top of the engine was blown. Replaced it and the boat cranked right up and the tilt and trim works too. Turned the key off but the motor stayed running.......LOL. Pulled the lanyard off the kill switch and it still keeps running. Shut the battery power off and it still runs. I finally bumped the key to start which engaged the bendix for an instant but the engine shut off. I guess I could have unplugged the fuel line but didnt since that is very difficult to do on this pontoon. I have no manual or wiring diagrams yet but I keep thinking something simple has happened and I just dont have enough knowledge on this thing to know what. A bad diode in something allowing a backfeed keeps running thru my mind. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? We have a place on the lake and the boat is there but I am going back down tomorrow with the trailer so I can get it on land and can work on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Don't do that. You can harm the motor.

A white wire is grounded to stop the motor from running. The white wire is grounded by either the key switch or the kill switch. A black wire is the ground from the motor. It gets connected to the white wire when either switch is closed.

Fire up your trouble shooting skills. Go behind the key switch and check the connections for the white wire. Maybe disconnect all connectors and reattach them. Disconnect the main wire harness at the front of the motor (under the cowl) and reattach it.

Comment

not sure where to boat was stored , but the blown fuse would worry me also.
      something may have chewed up some wiring

Comment

Big help right there, Thanks so much. With that I got a little something to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          not sure where to boat was stored , but the blown fuse would worry me also.
          something may have chewed up some wiring
          The boat was under a covered dock with a boat lift. Anything is possible but I was under the console and saw nothing. When I get the boat on the trailer and out of the lake it will be much easier to check......LOL.

Comment

yes a bad connection is one thing but to blow a fuse, something had to short out and pull more juice than it would normally.

just thinking white wire may have been chewed into and some other wires shorted if rats or other vermin went to work on it.

just something to keep an eye out for

Comment

Squirrels are all we got around there. They can screw stuff up too but never saw them on the docks. Well check it out good when we get it on land. Thanks

Comment

never heard of any place where rats did not exist.

tree rats with the bushy tails do like to chew on things just as bad as the slick tailed ones.
                report back what you find

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  never heard of any place where rats did not exist.

tree rats with the bushy tails do like to chew on things just as bad as the slick tailed ones.
                  report back what you find
                  Here's a list of rats in Union, SC.
                  City Council:
                  •Mayor - Harold E. Thompson
                  •District 1 - Tommy Anthony
                  •District 2 - Robert Garner (Mayor Pro Tem)
                  •District 3 - Yates Giles
                  •District 4 - Ricky Todd Harris
                  •District 5 - Pamela Garner Sloss
                  •District 6 - Jim Wilson
                  Chuck,
                  1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Just got home from the lake place. Got the boat out of the water and sure enough rodents chewed the primary wiring harness up along the top of the pontoon and the white wire was cut in half. Got lucky and had enough wire to pull the damaged area out to the side of the pontoon. Used shrinkable butt splices and spliced all 10 wires. Put the damaged area inside flexible conduit to help keep it out of harms way. Should allow us to use the boat another couple months until it gets cold and I'll bring it home and make permanent repairs. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yam insulation has extract of peanut flavor added to its ingredients. Keeps the insulation supple.

Comment

OK so it attracts rodents I guess? Is there a fix to deter them? They didnt eat the wires for the lights and such so it makes sense they find the jacket edible

Comment

Originally posted by Real McCoy View Post
                          OK so it attracts rodents I guess? Is there a fix to deter them? They didnt eat the wires for the lights and such so it makes sense they find the jacket edible

Don't know what kind of rodents you have in your neck of the woods. Check w/local exterminators. Here's what I use around my property. I use it around my shed. Specific instructions should com with the traps/poison. I can't remember where I got mine from, but here's a link that looks to have the same products.

Rat Killer Products & Supplies

Not sure if it will take care of your City Council though!
                          Chuck,
                          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

I doubt using that on the lake property would be acceptable. I got squirrels for sure and I am pretty confident they did the damage. I guess shooting them would be a option. Find somebody who eats squirrel and let them cull them out

Comment

set up live catch traps or other traps
                              I would not rule out rats/mice until you see what is getting on the boat

Comment

Working...
                              X