2015 Yamaha 115 propeller question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Yamaha 115 propeller question

My boat propeller is 13X19K. Searching Yamaha.com and plugging in the boat and motor information the results does not indicate a 19 pitch for my boat. Is anyone running a 19 pitch propeller on 115 Yamaha four stroke and the boat is 198 DLV Carolina Skiff? I bought the boat used and not sure why the dealer would put a propeller that is not in compliance with Yamaha recomendations. I have noticed the boat will catch "air" while running at 3/4 speed on various times. Could this be propeller issue? Thanks in advance for a response.
    Terry

What is your motor's WOT rating?

What is your MAX RPM with a light load?

When on plane, where is the anti-ventilation plate is relation to the water? It should be skimming just on top of the surface of the water.

Your "catching air" could be more of a function of the engine being mounted too high and/or having the engine trim too high for the conditions.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by terry1849 View Post
      My boat propeller is 13X19K. Searching Yamaha.com and plugging in the boat and motor information the results does not indicate a 19 pitch for my boat. Is anyone running a 19 pitch propeller on 115 Yamaha four stroke and the boat is 198 DLV Carolina Skiff? I bought the boat used and not sure why the dealer would put a propeller that is not in compliance with Yamaha recomendations. I have noticed the boat will catch "air" while running at 3/4 speed on various times. Could this be propeller issue? Thanks in advance for a response.
      Terry
      being a used boat there is a good possibility a dealer did not put that prop on unless you know that for a fact some how.

If your prop is different than the one you found in the performance bulletins on a boat exactly like yours, you can buy a prop and try it out to see if it does better.
      there is a lot more to a prop design than diameter and pitch

Still need to make sure the WOT RPMs, motor height, and trim are correct like Dennis said

Comment

Sounds like a nice rig.

These skiffs run skinny and on top of the water instead of parting the water like a deep V. As such, you can get the prop out of the water over waves and swells and "catch air" as you describe.

I looked at the bulletins and find ratings for a 21 DLV with 13-1/4 x 17 prop. The rated boat is a little longer and heavier than yours so a lower pitch for the same power doesn't appear off. The 19 pitch selection could be for more top end.

Another source is PowerTech Propellers ptprop.com. They worked closely with manufacturer's to refine props for 4 stroke outboards and will be happy to run your rig through their proprietary software. When done for me, they advised I sit tight with what I had for my use.

I suggest you visit http://carolinaskiffowner.com/. the folks are helpful and the first one's on us.

If you're happy with the performance, why fix what's not broke? If not, props are easy to switch and often suppliers will let you try a couple before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
          What is your motor's WOT rating?

What is your MAX RPM with a light load?

When on plane, where is the anti-ventilation plate is relation to the water? It should be skimming just on top of the surface of the water.

Your "catching air" could be more of a function of the engine being mounted too high and/or having the engine trim too high for the conditions.
          Wouldn't be the first Carolina skiff with incorrect mount from dealer. Does it porpoise running in calm water with motor trim all the down?

Comment

What is your WOT rpms? The spec WOT rpm range for your engine is 5-6k. So if you're in that range then you're in good shape. The "catching air" issue you've experienced most likely isn't because of the prop. It might be engine height or condition of prop.
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

OP has left the building

Comment

Working...
              X