1988 6sg no tell tail stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 6sg no tell tail stream

I purchased the motor about 6 months ago. It ran fine and good discharge out the tell tail. Last week, the motor stopped discharging out the tell tail hole. I cleaned out the hole. I replaced the water pump assembly, started it in a large barrel and nothing out the tell tail hole. The motor ran hot and I shut it off. I inspected the head bolts and it looks like they have never been removed to replace the T-stat. Could the T-stat be my problem?

I do not know anything about that small motor, but on larger Yamaha motors the stats do not affect the tell tail

Comment

Remove tell-tale hose from back at the head and make sure no chunk of scale/salt/deposit is stuck in that fitting where the hose goes...

Comment

Assuming the pump is operating correctly, troubleshoot from the lower unit moving up. Check inside the pump housing for obstructions, then do the same for the water tube. You can take a garden hose with a narrow attachment and run water up the tube. The water pressure should kick loose any impeding debris. Watch the tell tale as your doing this.
        Smaller engines have very narrow water cooling channels that surround the block. Bad stats wouldn't prevent water from exiting the TT. Its a good idea to open the stat housing and check for corrosion. If it is then the corrosion you see is indicative of the corrosion inside. Salt X works good for breaking up corrosion.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Had a similar issue on my 4sd. The water pump has a plastic housing with a stainless cup insert the impeller sits in. On mine the insert actually spun in the housing which caused the outlet to the motor to be blocked. If this is the case just epoxy the cup in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Coulsting View Post
            Had a similar issue on my 4sd. The water pump has a plastic housing with a stainless cup insert the impeller sits in. On mine the insert actually spun in the housing which caused the outlet to the motor to be blocked. If this is the case just epoxy the cup in place.
            Noo no, do not epoxy the cup to the outer cartridge plate just because the cup is spinning. It shouldn't spin. If it does replace the cup or cartridge because one or both are defective. Epoxy the cup to the plate and when you go to replace the impeller, an annual maintenance step, now you gotta replace everything!!
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
              Noo no, do not epoxy the cup to the outer cartridge plate just because the cup is spinning. It shouldn't spin. If it does replace the cup or cartridge because one or both are defective. Epoxy the cup to the plate and when you go to replace the impeller, an annual maintenance step, now you gotta replace everything!!
              Seems like you are telling him to replace everything instead of epoxying ,so he will not have to replace it all next time.

if this is the problem he could fix it this way now and then replace it next time if needed.

need to open it up and have a look see

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                Seems like you are telling him to replace everything instead of epoxying ,so he will not have to replace it all next time.:rolleyes
                If replacing "everything" in your brain is the cup, the housing cartridge, or both, then you need to familiarize yourself with water pump components before criticizing. There are more than 2 components, the sum of which would be "everything". Im quite sure I did not say replace everything. Find the problem component and replace IT. Don't just epoxy components without determining the failed component.
                Jason

Comment

he said epoxy cup into housing so not sure why that would be a problem, and you are the only one that said anything about epoxying cup to a plate

Comment

Danny, not the Op, brought up the epoxy "fix".

Agreed thou, a look see is needed.

If needed, get an entire pump kit and IF the main housing is damaged at all, the cup spun, etc, REPLACE IT.

Do it correctly the first time...

BTW, for S&G's, when the LU is off, stick a garden hose to the water pipe/intake (to the power head) and see if you get your tell tale then. Then you know positively the WP wasn't pumping/pumping enough
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-04-2016, 04:45 PM.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      Do it correctly the first time...
                      It's like an Ah-Ha moment. Couldn't agree more.
                      Jason

Comment

Any updates??
                        Scott

Comment

This isn't for a $25,000 f350 on a $250,000 boat running offshore all day at 6000rpm. This is a 4hp motor. If this was a bigger more expensive motor I would have replaced the housing. I made this repair 15 years ago and have replaced the impeller several times since I used epoxy and still works great.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300
                            Your first post says you bought it six (6) months ago..
                            nope that was the OP

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              nope that was the OP
                              Correct.

I was checking to see if YOU were paying attention!
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X