No announcement yet.

2007 f90 efi bad gas throughout the system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it recommended to replace the gasket between cover and tank?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      Is it recommended to replace the gasket between cover and tank?
      From my experience...
      At first I would. Had VST/fuel issues due to fuel line inner liner break down when I first got my used boat/motor. Even after replacing the fuel lines I wound up having to remove and clean the VST filter several times before it cleared up completely.

If the gasket (odd shaped o-ring, if you will) looked like new, I did not change it. Otherwise, it was changed. If the gasket does not sit properly in the tank/cover (stretched), do change it.

Be careful with the small phillips head screws. Make sure you have a screwdriver that fits appropriately. Don't over tighten the screws as to prevent stripping/damaging the screw heads. The seal is the o-ring type gasket, not the screws. My gasket cost about $24.00.
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Well thank you for all your input. I took it all apartand was just overwhelmed so I brought it to a local tailor to finish the job. It was totally my fault for not winterizing it properly.

Comment

Don't fault yourself. It's a Boat and that's spelled Break Out Another Thousand.

Many thanks to all the help offered to you especially Rod Bolt.

While I know nothing about the four strokes, my mistake on our 90 TLR was confining efforts to the outboard and not paying attention to the upstream fuel lines, bulb and tank. Back in '12 I rebuilt carburetors twice and only after Rudy's Marine in DE straightened me out for a third time did I realize with the very next key turn I undid all my work. Despite being our second year with the new to us boat, I didn't understand that my fuel system was contaminated and degraded due to past old gas damage.

That's when I replaced the tank with a smaller top side sized for our typical trips and supplemented with a six gallon portable for longer runs. I also rigged a $26 solenoid fuel pump from RockAuto.com to a 12 volt plug and fuel hose. I now pump the boat dry of all fuel, drain the carbs, drain the water separating filter and leave the tanks upside down and open to evaporate the last drop between trips. I haven't used stabilizer since. No fuel for me means no fuel to go bad. Another found issue with the same ethanol resistant fuel line we used on his prior recommendation. I again replaced ours this time with 3/8" copper, which costs much less, except for short lengths at the tank and outboard that now get replaced every other year in ten minutes for ten bucks.

We only ran the boat twice this past season and not much more last year. The '05 TLR sung like an angry hornets nest and ran like new both trips.

Comment

Working...
          X