Yamaha 130 - Primer Bulb wont Stay primed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 130 - Primer Bulb wont Stay primed

The Primer bulb leading to the Racor from the fuel tank will not stay primed. The one from the Racor to the engine will stay primed. I noticed this because when I went out in the boat today all it would do is go slow ahead. Whenever I tried to go on plane there was not enough power (rpm's would only hit 24 or 25 hundred) and it just sounded like all cylinders were not firing - it just sounded bad.

At first I could squeeze the bulb and it would eventually prime after about 20 tries, now it wont prime at all - it just stays flat.

Do I have a fuel pump problem?

you should only have one, make sure it works only one way. you may have an air leak or most commonly a clogged tank vent.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but I should only have 1 primer bulb? Why do i have 2, and why (which one should I get rid of - bypass)?

How do I check to see if the tank vent is clogged?

Comment

rsm,
        Does sound like there is a restriction in the fuel line. I would bypass everything by using a small (6 gallon) fuel tank and run a hose from the primer bulb closest to the motor to the small tank. Run the motor to see that it will run WOT w/o any problem.
        If the motor runs good with the small tank, then check where the restriction is. From what you describe, sounds like from the collapsed bulb on back to the fuel tank.
        The fuel tank may not be venting properly - you could loosen the filler cap a little to see if that makes a difference. Tank vent hose may be crimped somewhere.
        Or, if your tank has an anti-siphon valve, that could be your problem. They are known for sticking partially closed and not allowing enough fuel flow. Some owners just bypass them.
        And, yes, you only need one primer bulb - I believe most owners have one on the output side of the Racor, but, I guess, you could have it on the input side also.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Ken:

Thanks for your response. What I did was I bypassed the racor altogether and found that the primer bulb stayed full. I then added a 12 oz bottle of ring free to the tank which has about 35-40 gallons in it. Put the boat back in the water and it did the same thing - sounded bad, wouldn't go on plane, no moe than 1800 rpm's.

This morning I go out and now I notice about 20 drops of thick black oil dripping from where the prop meets the lower unit. Are these related or was it just the ring free?

Comment

rsm,
            That thick black oil you see is the result of the RingFree doing its job - busting loose carbon.
            It's starting to sound like you may have clogged carbs. If that motor was allowed to set up for more than a month w/o being run, and the storage procedure in the owner's manual was not followed, then the carbs are probably clogged with gum/varnish.
            You might try removing the high speed jets, if you can get to them on those carbs. Squirt some Berryman's Chemtool into the orifices.
            It that doesn't help, then the carbs will have to be removed, torn down, cleaned, and a kit installed.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

OK - Just got the word form the mechanic, he said 2 plugs were seriously fouled. I just had a 100 hr service done by them 15-20 running hrs ago (approx 2 months). Motor now has 220 hrs.

I bought the motor when it had 186 hours on it. Don't know for sure how well maintained the motor was.

Anyhow, the mechanic said he decarbed the motor, and replaced the plugs, but said for me to run ring free thru at 3 oz to the gallon for the next couple of tank fulls, then go to the regular dosage every tank. Also, he said the plugs may get fouled again until all the gunk get blown out by the ring free regimen, so be prepared to change my own plugs a time or two.

So that's my story - I guess we will see.

Comment

Working...
              X