Losses power at high RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losses power at high RPM

I have a 150hp yamaha on a flats boat that is cutting out at high RPM's... When running flat out it will almost quit, I can pump the fuel bulb and it will not do that. So I think it is just running out of gas. This is the first trip out this season. Any ideas?

try running it with an auxillary tank to isolate the issue. probably bad tank vent,air leak in lines/fittings, restricted pickup tube or seperator or simply bad ball.

Comment

seapro,
      If you can pump the fuel primer bulb and the rpms come back up, then I would suspect a weak fuel pump. If that fuel pump is at least five years old, I would replace it.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Is there a rebuild kit for the fuel pump? Looks like just a couple of diaphrams...

Comment

seapro,
          Check the diagram for your motor in the online catalog above - I think you will find that the entire fuel pump assy is just a few dollars more than the diaphrams.
          A lot of owners replace their fuel pumps (I believe your motor has two) every five years just for preventive maintenance.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Working...
          X