Timimg light??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timimg light??

Anyone have issues getting a timing light to work on their outboard??

I have tried 3 diff timing lights and none will work on my '92 70 hp. I have put the inductive pick-up on all 3 cylinders to no avail. Tried all 3 lights on the garden tractor ... all work.

Could it be that the insulation is so good on the outboard that the inductive pick-up is not sensing the plug firing???

I'm geting frustrated with this thing!! Finally have time to fish and I have to finish troubleshooting instead!!

Ed

No the timming light is my best troubleshooting tool and I use it on all outboards. Some inductive are polarity sensitive, try turning the inductive clamp over.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Well ... that was too simple. Funny thing is on my inductive pick up it says 'this side towards plug'. To get it to work on the Yamaha I had to put it on the other way.

Now a queation on the timing degree marks. There are no numbers stamped for a reference point (other than TDC). There are groupings of 5 marks ... 4 short marks then a longer one. On the retard side there are a total of 5 marks ... 15 (3 groups of 5) marks on the advance side.

Since the timing need to be 7 ATDC and 20 BTDC. Am I to assume that each small tick mark is 2 degrees and each group of 5 is equal to 10 degrees??

This is on a '92 70hp. The Yamaha book for this model conviently shows the numbers above the tick marks.

Ed

Comment

Working...
      X