3MSHY carburetor throttle plate stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrlnavykorea View Post
    3MSHY-year is 2000 Look under the "intake" section and there is a clear expanded diagram of the carburetor.
    That's the exact link I posted up above. There's no butterfly or shaft showing.

HEAT THAT PUPPY!
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The auto parts stores carry a product in a spray can called Freeze-Off that uses a blast of cold to loosen stuck nuts, bolts, parts....as parts freeze they shrink a bit and it just might help you loosen that stuck part....

Comment

Sort of progress. soaked in the acetone/ATF combo over night . If you want info on this stuff just Google " 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid" Lots of people swear by it . Heated it up with a hair dryer -nothing. took the hot piece and dumped it back in the goo. Still nothing. By this point I had decided that I needed some extra force. By way of explanation I'm old (86) and I simply do not have a great deal of hand or arm strength. So, I made up my mind that I would use a small 6" pair of pliers and if I broke the arm so be it and I'd buy a new carburetor . There really is nothing to grab except the actuator arm and there is nothing to get a decent grip on. With not a great deal of force the plate now pivots about a third of the design travel. I can move it back and forth, but not by hand. So I put back into the goo with the idea that now it may loosen more. Try it again tomorrow. Strange-what can be in there to cause it to seize? Acts more like a seized bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlnavykorea View Post
          Strange-what can be in there to cause it to seize? Acts more like a seized bearing.
          Great!!!

Its really only the aluminum body and the brass (I believe its brass) shaft, no bearings, and I don't believe any bushings..

Keep soaking and doing what your doing, your 1/3 of the way there..

And good for you still wrenching in your 80's!

Keep us updated!
          Scott

Comment

Some progress. Soaked it overnight in the acetone/ATF mix. With the use of a small 6" pair of pliers on the actuator arm of the throttle plate I can move the throttle plate through the full range. Takes a fair amount of force to do this , and even repeated movement over the whole range doesn't seem to free it up. It moves,but reluctantly. It is a brass rod through the aluminum carburetor body. I do not think there are any bearings or bushings. I think wherever the blockage or bound area is has not been actually touched any of the various penetrating fluids I have used. This isn't like a stuck bolt where the fluid goes easily down the space allowed by the threads. I just cannot figure what could have got in there to cause it to freeze like this.It is back soaking again. I am slowly getting resigned to a new carburetor -either the expensive Yamaha one or the inexpensive Chinese copy.

Comment

Do NOT get the Chinese copy...

At this point, before giving up, now that you have access to the butterfly screw(that holds the butterfly to the shaft), be very careful remove that little screw and plate..

Once that's out, the shaft should come out of the body, working it back and forth.

Once out, clean and inspect for any varnish, crap, etc. If need be, (I would try NOT to), take a real fine emery cloth to the shaft and polish it up. The more you take off, the easier it will get to move. It will ALSO LOOSEN the shaft IN THE BODY (which you do NOT want).

**If your uncomfortable with any of the above, feel free to PM me, mail it to me. I'm sure I can free it up (likely without pulling the butterfly).. Shouldn't be $4.00 to ship each way if your in the US via USPS...
              Scott

Comment

Any updates?
                Scott

Comment

Success! I tried everything Blaster ,carburetor cleaner, mixture acetone and ATF, heating with a hair dyer etc. forced it a little to get some motion, but it didn't loosen up. Finally, after everything else I tried CRC freeze off. I think this stuff works like the hair dyer but at the opposite temperature range. Spray for 10 seconds or so and the aluminum is really cold. Gave it a shot of spray carburetor cleaner along with the freeze. for the first time I could move the throttle plate by hand. Did it again, and it just loosened up and the throttle plate spring return started to function. Now it is fine. Damned if I know where or what was in there but it sure was stubborn. I was really skeptical when I read about the Freeze Off-it sounded hokey, but there where a lot of positive comments. I'm a believer now.

Comment

Congrates and thanks for the update!
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X