yamaha 130 loses power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 130 loses power

1991 130, precision blend. long post, but i feel it necessary to be plentiful with details since it is a weird problem.

my family yamaha tech went through the engine a few weeks ago changed waterpump, poppet valve, t-stats and generally gave the engine a checkup; compression, spark ect. everything was fine, and said the engine ran wonderful, as far as he could tell with the flush kit. it idles smooth as a 2 stroke can and does not miss a beat. it has great smooth power all the way until WOT (not that i run there..lol), but after about 5 seconds of getting to WOT the rpms drop down. sometimes they will drop down to 4700, sometimes 4300. first time i give it the throttle it goes up, if i try it again it usually goes up but for even shorter. a few tries later i usually cannot get those extra rpms at all. the engine still runs strong at those rpm's once it drops down and shows no sign of stalling or anything. its just annoying to know it has more balls i just cant use. wouldnt hurt to have it limited with these gas prices, but want those extra revolutions for outrunning a surprise thunderstorm.

the o-ring on the fuel filter was missing; we initially thought this could be the problem-- sucking in air at that high fuel demand. i have replaced the oring and repaced all filters, still no luck. the plugs are fresh, and mechanic (ours since late 80's) says the engine is healthy.

isolated the issue to the engine; by using an external fuel tank. basically the carbs were incorrectly installed from his opinion (gaskets on backwards causing restriction) so it was our thought to take them off, dissasemble clean and rebuild--if someone messed putting the gaskets on imagine how they assembled the carb. orings on something inside the carb were junk, as was the float adjustment (not even close to level), whitnessed by myself, the orings disintigrated in my hands. needless to say, i would think it safe the carbs needed service anyways.

however, after this service the problem has not gone away, but it seems to possibly gotten worse. now it holds the rpms even less, and loses power to an even lower power...so instead of the usual 47 where it would level out it will drop all the way down to 38 at "WOT."

he should be looking at the engine and running it again tomorrow night (no lack of water tests at problem speed/rpm's) to hopefully figure it out. he admits he is stumped for the most part, although i continue to suspect the fuel pump. the pump was replaced in the fall before winterizing the engine. since the pump is new, he does not think it is the problem. basically i'm just looking for an opinion whether defective pumps exist or not. like any other part i am sure they do exist, but is it feasible within normal odds to actually end up with one?

if not the pump to suspect anymore, any other thoughts?

fresh fuel, filters, clean/adjusted/gasketed carbs, tight fuel lines, problem isolated to engine with external fuel supply.

thanks for any help.. we appreciate it.

tractortug,
    Sounds like you and your mechanic are checking the right things.
    I was thinking "fuel pump" until I got to the end of your post - not likely that the new one has gone bad already, but possible. Have someone pump the primer bulb several times when the motor drops rpm when throttle is WOT. If rpm picks up, then you have a weak fuel pump.
    Try checking the throttle cable and carb linkage to make sure the remote handle is not at the very end of its rotation when the carbs are fully open.
    Also, check the linkage to the choke butterfly valve plate to make sure it is not partially closed at WOT.
    Also, check the pulser coil assy - make sure it rotates to advance the spark when the carbs are opened up - check the linkage to the pulser coil assy for any play.
    Other than that, maybe new fuel line from the primer bulb to the fuel filter, and from there to the pump, and from there to the carbs.
    Good luck, and let us know what you find out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

i should have mentioned... we did squeeze the bulb at the problem rpm withhim back there watching the carbs with the baffle thing off, checking timing and what not... the rpms are sustained when fuel is forced through with the primer bulb.

i would assume he checked linkage/butterfly stuff since he was back there with the baffle removed observing everything at the problem rpms... or at least noticed a problem with them.

it will hit the high revs... 5800 or so but only if fuel is forced. i looked at all fuel lines a few time and they are all solid, so its not like theres a leak.

could the pump be defective?

thanks for your insight so far ken.

Comment

Sure sounds like a weak fuel pump to me.
        Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Make sure you use new gaskets on the backs of the fuel pumps as well. I'd put in new fuel pumps anyway and are you using the white membrane or black membrane ones? You want the black ones.

Good luck!

Comment

sounds to me like carb blockage, as you had disintigrated orings....also you can test the pumps, they should allow flow, towards bowls,none back thru....blow thru both ways to check for broken diaphrams.if you have blowby, then they are compromised. with bad diaphrams you would see much unspent fuel out of the prop.

Comment

pumps seem to be good... blow fuel to the carbs, but not back, as in it functions like a check valve. i guess i get a little blowby..nothing i can really feel but its not holding my air 100%.

problem seems to be getting worese, which leaves me to think the carbs could be somehow dirty again, but that seems like a long shot, since they were taken apart and rebuilt last week.

engine pretty much stalls out from high revs, and the problem is getting worse now.

keep thinking!

as i believe... please correct me, but the fuel pump works on a vacuum principle, using the vacuum from the engine to move the diagphram, and move the fuel, right?

could the hole for the vacuum be restricted or something like that? the engine sat for at least a season before buying it in the fall. maybe blast some cleaner in there, compressed air, or a piece of wire (pipe cleaner?) ???

Comment

tractortug,
                The fuel pump works on air pressure impulses from the crankcase - check the fuel pump body gasket that is suppose to seal it to the crank housing.
                If there is an air leak there, the fuel pump would not deliver max fuel.
                Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                Ken K

Comment

Tractor -

I dont know what your problem is, but it seems to be a re-occuring theme. I have a simialr problem on my 97SX150 and have read of at least 2 other posts with similar problems. The only way mine differs from yours, is that mine has not gotten worse with time and seems to be holding steady. I will post any results and ask all of you to do the same.

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

today i removed the fuel pump again and attempted to clean out that hole that powers the pump. the gasket was pretty much shot but some rtv was used and i put it back on. i ran the boat again and it did not stall anymore, and seemed to be back to where i started in the fall. as long as pressure was maintained it held the rpms ... as much as 5700. this leads me to believe it still is not the carbs even after their service, as they will produce that power when fuel is supplied.

it has to be a defective pump at this point.

Comment

TT,
                      The fuel pump for your motor is only about $32 (from boats.net) - replace that sucker and see what happens.
                      If you still have same problem with the NEW fuel pump, then another possibility is improperly adjusted carb floats, or partially stuck
                      float valves. With either condition, the motor could be starving for fuel, and when you add fuel pressure from pumping the primer bulb on top of what the fuel pump can do, well, maybe, the rpm could come back up. I'm really guessing here, but seems feasible.
                      Try the new pump and let us know what happens.
                      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                      Ken K

Comment

thanks again ken. dealer near home has a pump in stock, so hopefully will be picking one up tomorrow morning, and hopefull installing it tuesday.

the guy who tore down and rebuilt my carbs 2 weeks ago has been wrenching on mine/my uncle/grandfather's yamahas for at least 10 years now; working as a yamaha tech even longer. the floats were way off when the carbs came apart but were installed correctly... and the carbs were soaked in the tank at his shop so they should be clean. the carbs i guess are the last resort, again.

hopefully it is the pump though... while running the engine with the cowl off, i only saw a few... litterally a few small bubbles in the filter bowl, and only at one time, which i think should be negliglible as i was pumping the bulb vigoursly at that point-- so i would assume it is not sucking air anywhere.

i pressurized the system as high as possible with the boat out of the water and could not hear, or see, any fuel leaks.

we'll get this eventually. i'm hoping it is the pump.

Comment

I`d suggest NOT using rtv on your new pump gasket or hopefully anywhere else on your fuel system as it can breakdown and clog you up.Also, im curious as how long you`ve had,and ran your motor with the maladjusted floats?

Comment

rtv was only used on the shoddy gasket, just for another test run. never on new gaskets of that type.

i bought the boat in the fall and ran it a few times, maybe 2 hours total until winterized. after that maybe an additional two hours at lower rpms until the rebuilds... so i would assume about 5 hours total with maladjusted floats while in my posession.

pump hopefeully tomorrow. remember though, as long as fuel is forced it runs strong as any yamaha i have owned at those high revs.

Comment

new fuel pump=nothing

still not making full power, or maintaining what it does make... about 51 then back to 43-44. a few times it lost even more.

i guess i should be looking at the carbs, AGAIN. what sepcifically? it doesnt make sense, but what the hell? this is getting annoying. at least i havent paid much money on repairs thusfar.

as far as the carbs go, i do have the service manual, have rebuilt a few bmw engines, and think i may look into tearing them apart if i cant get the tech to do it again. the book does not seem to be too clear about how to 'set' everything, but how complicated should it be for someone wrench savvy? never touched carbs before.

Comment

Working...
                              X