Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I crazy to clean spark plugs?

200TXRT 1995/2014
    may be it is not normal nowadays, better replace them?
    motor runs good, second season after boring/honing
    just started to use ringfree, let's see how it works.
    just showing off
    pic before and after cleaning
    anyone to comment, please?
    Attached Files

Looks good!

yes, we live in a throw-away world now

when I was a young man, no auto repair shop would be without one of these:

image hosting 15mb

Comment

looks like you cleaned up the outside of the plugs well, but the inside did not get any cleaning.

internal Porcelain and the electrodes look the same, but they are burning well from the look

Comment

Your plugs look really great...motor must be tuned correctly...that said, I bought a $15 Harbor Freight Spark Plug Sandblaster many years ago and my 1999 C90 Yamaha still has the original plugs...just blow the carbon off a couple of times a year and re-check the gap...plugs look almost new. I also do the plugs for the cars, mowers, blowers, chain saws, etc....never ever buy new plugs. If you use the sand blaster method be sure to blow the abrasive grit off plug and threads with air hose....

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          looks like you cleaned up the outside of the plugs well, but the inside did not get any cleaning.

internal Porcelain and the electrodes look the same, but they are burning well from the look
          Yes my observation too. It looks like you used Ringfree to clean the plugs. I thought it supposed to used as a fuel additive. Nothing wrong there I suppose, but there are specific decarbonizing cleaning fluids out there.

An experienced Can Am told me the plugs used in them are for "life" or at least 100,000 kms.! If the electrodes don't burn away, the porceline self cleans.

Comment

Yea - crazy to clean plugs. Money and effort better spent on top quality longest lasting plugs with some anti-seize on the treads. The heads are aluminum and IMHO that soft metal is better left alone as long as possible. I like leaving High voltage plug wires alone too, especially when they're a permanent part of a very expensive marine grade ignition coil.

Comment

My old 2 stroke pre-mix motor naturally lays up a few more plug deposits than a newer, lean/clean 4 stroke motor....but I like very clean, white/tan porcelain plugs for easy starting and smooth running....guess it's just a matter of preventive maintenance preferences....

Comment

Working...
              X