• Show
Clear All

• Electrical output plug on 9.9 hp

Just wondering what I can run from this plug and how. Thankyou

What plug are you referring to?

Comment

and what is the motor's complete model #

Comment

Come on guys. Put on your mind reading hats.

You have little to no information to go on. Be creative. What in the hell can he possibly be talking about?

It is a 9.9 something. Presume it is a Yamaha but we don't really know. Might be a two stroke. Might be a four stroke. Might be a 1984 model year motor or might be a 2016 production year motor.

There is obviously a plug somewhere on the motor, but we don't know where. We do know that it is electrically related.

Now what can be run from that plug? And how.

Think!

Comment

Time is up.

Comment

I don't understand this harness. You might want to mount a R/R on the outside of the cowl? Is this a quick disconnect for the battery?
            Last edited by pstephens46; 08-10-2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

fairdeal will be along shortly to 'splain it to you.That is my challenge to him.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 08-10-2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                I don't understand this harness. You might want to mount a R/R on the outside of the cowl? Is this a quick disconnect for the battery?
                Some 9.9's don't come with a rectifier/regulator. But they might have a lighting coil.

Some 9.9's are used sporadically on a sail boat. They might be lifted from the transom and stored when not being used.

In those applications, if the owner wants to recharge a battery while the motor is running, Yamaha offers an option to do so. The electrical lead runs from the motor to a battery, at which is mounted the rectifier/regulator. The electrical lead can be quickly disconnected as is the fuel line. Not much else to disconnect.

Higher voltage AC travels better than lower voltage DC. Might be less power loss transmitting AC to a R/R mounted right at the battery than to have the R/R on the motor and transmit low voltage DC the distance to the R/R. The 9.9 does not have much electrical power to begin with. It can't stand to lose much.

Comment

Thanks! Learning every day.

Comment

Working...
                  X