Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 115 V4 power head removal: Expendable parts needed

Hello everyone.

I need to remove the engine block from my outboard to change the gear change rod/axle. What other parts would need to be changed or renewed when the block is removed? Any specific flanges or anything else?
    Am I facing any danger of a frozen bolt? I do not have specific tools nor extensive knowledge, but an outboard mechanic is pretty tough to get, and my vacation time is running out...
    Thanks for your help
    Last edited by axolotl98; 08-03-2016, 12:02 PM.

I’m actually looking to do the same job on my 1993 115hp v4 in the near future as my gear shift rod is rusting and most likely will snap at some point.

Have a read of this thread - link. Apparently there is a company is the US that sells replacement shift rods made of “Marine-grade 303 strength stainless steel” that does not require pulling off your powerhead to replace it. This was suggested by member Rodbolt and I am awaiting reply of confirmation on the company name. From a quick google search I have found a US company called Shift Shaft found at www.shiftshaft.com.

Comment

Thanks so much for the proposal. Unfortunately, I am in Europe, so it will take some time and my boating season will be pretty soon away...

Comment

Just been notified that I need this upper casing gasket.
        6G5-45113-A0-00

Anything else?

Comment

This is rodbolt's answer at another boating forum several years back

...however it does not work with ALL v6 and All V4 yamahas.
          simply depends on the year and how the reed box is layed out.
          some we can change by removing the intake, some the power head comes off...

Rod or anyone else, any more detail on which Yamahas one can remove just the intake in order to change the shiftshaft, would be much appreciated...

Comment

check with a company called precision engineering in CA.

Comment

Working...
            X