Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 4 stroke not charging

Hello all
    We bought our first pontoon boat last year from a dealer in Omaha. We are in Casper WY and love to go boating. Anyway, the first time I had it out last year, (2015) the volt meter gauge only showed about 11 volts, and any speed. I knew that was too low so I called dealer, they said to have a Yamaha Dealership check it out. I took it 200 miles away for the nearest one and they found that the wires were loose going to the Rectifier and it was fixed. Next time out, charged at over 13 volts for about an hour then dropped to 10, Took it to local boat shop then, they replaced the rectifier with one that I bought from a web site. Worked great for one boating trip, died again, dropped to 10 volts and by the time I got back to the dock the tach was acting erratically like an electrical problem of low voltage. Took to another local boat shop, new battery and rectifier later it worked great! Got to use it for about 3 hours last year before winter hit. Put it away for the season. Got it out this spring, used maybe a total of 3 to 4 hours, not over 1 tank of fuel used, and it dropped voltage when we were out *****ing for fish. Been at 900 to 1000 rpms, charging at a strong 13 volts, then after lifting trim to park on beach, after I started it again, it wouldn't go over 11 to 12 volts.

Another thing, both mornings out, cruising through "no wake zone" one of my warning buzzers came on. I put into neutral,, reved it up to 1,000 to 2,000 rpms for a couple of seconds, buzzer went off. I didn't know what it was telling me, low oil pressure? (oil is full) too warm? lake water temp was 69 degrees,

My question is, could there be something that is taking out the rectifier? I can buy another one for $125.00 and replace it myself, just 4 bolts and a plugin. Any suggestions? the side of the engine says that it was built in 06/02, but on the other side the model number is F115TLRB which I can only find that number when I look at the engines built in 2003. Thanks in advance for any advice.

David
    I have spent most of my money on Boats, the rest I have just wasted......

AN F115TLRB is a 2003 model year motor. Might have been made in 2002. Just like it is 2016 now and you can buy a 2017 model year automobile.

The original rectifier/regulator has been updated to a different part number. Hopefully, for improved reliability. As long as the connections are clean and secure I don't think there is anything that can damage the component. By connections I mean the battery cables at both ends and the grounding wire to the R/R connector.

It is desirable to have a Yamaha tachometer installed so that it will provide an indication as to why the buzzer is sounding.

With a fully charged and known good battery I would expect for the voltage to be seen at the battery to be plus or minus above 14.5 volts when the engine is running at a fast idle.

Comment

Working...
    X