Motor will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor will not start

I have twin 1998 250's. Last year, one of the motors had difficulty starting when it was cold. Once it got started, it would restart again as soon as you turned the key. But let it sit over night, same problem next day. It had good power to the starter and motor turned over normally, just no fire when it was cold. Now the motor is dragging when you try to start it and the 1st time I tried to start it this year, I could smell a burning electrical odor. Motor would barely turn over. I took the spark plugs out and the motor turn over quicker, but not like it should with full power. The batteries are fully charged.
    Could this be corrosion on a connection that is "dragging" the motor? Could the original problem with the hard starting last year be the "stator", "coil(s)" or the "powerpack"? And when I tried to start it this year, the defective part finally burned out?? I know I can swap parts from the running motor over to the defective motor to find out what is defective, but was hoping that someone may have had a similar problem that could save me some time.

Hi, John , It sounds like a bad starter motor. use your nose, that burning electrical smell should be evident in the starter motor, if that is the problem.

Comment

John,
      Try using the starter off the other motor to see if that is the problem - does sound like bad windings in the starter motor.
      If the starter is not the problem, then I would suspect the starter relay.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

i would check your voltage to the relay and starter. if youre usin the original battery cables, they lose their pliability as the get corroded, check to see if they are stiffer in some spots, tho im not sure how much salt you see in clewiston.

Comment

Working...
        X