Shift Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Issue

Guys I had my boat out today and noticed that I could not get reverse. I Also noticed that when I return the gear selector back to the neutral position, the boat continues forward at idle. I actually have to pull reverse to get the engine into neutral. I must also make it noted that I couldn't get full throttle. Now me thinking logically, I'm thinking it could be a stretched throttle or selector cables? If I'm wrong I'm open to suggestions. its Pro V P200TLRP

Sounds like you have to perform a "Timing and Synchronization" on your motor. You should get a service manual for your motor and carry out the procedures within. Well worth the investment.
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Has lower unit been removed lately?

Comment

carefully inspect the shift shaft just above the midsection.
        they tended to rust away and get an hourglass look.

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
          Sounds like you have to perform a "Timing and Synchronization" on your motor. You should get a service manual for your motor and carry out the procedures within. Well worth the investment.
          rightio then whats this going to achieve? I'm not sure Timing the engine will change the gear selecting. Ill grab a manual and have a look. thanks for the heads up ill have a read and see what I can come up with

Anything else I should be looking for

Comment

the shift shafts were known to rust away.
            then it twists instead of shifts.
            there is a US company that makes a two part shaft that eliminates the need to remove the powerhead for replacement.

Comment

I believe Rod has the most likely problem.
              shift shaft is twisting

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                there is a US company that makes a two part shaft that eliminates the need to remove the powerhead for replacement.
                any photos of the shafts or youtube videos I can watch> Just so I know what the mechanic is talking about if it comes to me needing to take it to someone for further inspection

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I believe Rod has the most likely problem.
                  shift shaft is twisting
                  You mean likely solution. From accounts Rodbolt's likely problem is alcohol and gunsmoke

Comment

look at the fwd edge just along the top of the lower where the speedo tube and bonding wire goes into the midsection.
                    look at the shift shaft.
                    if it is hour glassed it has most likely failed.
                    occasionally they will fail at the top.
                    normally at the lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney Skier View Post
                      rightio then whats this going to achieve? I'm not sure Timing the engine will change the gear selecting. Ill grab a manual and have a look. thanks for the heads up ill have a read and see what I can come up with

Anything else I should be looking for
                      "Timing and synchronization" includes adjusting throttle, shift, and timing linkages so that all operate at the times when they are supposed to. Seeing that you said you "couldn't get full throttle", I would surely check/adjust as outlined in the manual. for my motor (SX150TXRZ), this is stated as being an annual maintenance procedure.

Have you checked the shift shaft for wear/corrosion, as Rodbolt suggested?
                      Chuck,
                      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        This is interesting. I have heard the shift shafts are a pain to change involving removing the powerhead to get to the shaft thus being a costly repair job.

Would the US company that you are referring to be known as ShiftShaft - shiftshaft.com?

My shaft on my 1993 115hp is rusty so I might be replacing it in the near future.
                        Last edited by AK115V4-93; 08-03-2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

yes it should be, have you read what they have and how to install it yet

Comment

I think the company name is precision engineering in CA.

Comment

Here, let me give you the shaft.

Shift Shaft: The Quick Change Replacement for Shifting Shafts

Comment

Working...
                              X