Choke Solenoid & Enriching pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke Solenoid & Enriching pump

I have a '94 70hp 3 cylinder precision blend. I have found the choke solenoid and an enriching pump on the motor. The enriching pump appears to serve no purpose as the hose coming off the bottom has been plugged. The choke solenoid makes a clicking sound when I pull the switch on the controls but can see no other action/response as far as helping fuel along. I am having a lot of difficult getting her started. I have only seen the motor run when I spray copious amounts of starter fluid through the carbs..

any insight into the enriching pump and choke solenoid would be helpful.

thanks!

Jim

So there's no hose running from the top of that carb to the enrichment pump? Try installing one and see if that helps. The diaphragm in the pump might have been leaking and someone got the bright idea to cap off the fuel source to it to eliminate the small leak? In that case you may find you need a new diaphragm in that thing too. No big deal, it's easy to repair. You may need to shoot some carb cleaner in there and pull the solenoid off and clean that passage out too. Should solve your hard start problems. Good luck.

Mike

Comment

there is a hose running from the top of the carb to the enriching pump but the hose at the bottom of the pump that I assume should go somewhere (?) has been capped..

Comment

The second hose runs from the pump, between the top and middle carbs, and into a fitting in the manifold on the opposite side of the powerhead.

Comment

There is a third hose, that is at the bottom and towards the rear of the carb, that is the one that is capped.. the other two hoses appear to be correct (one going to top of middle carb, the second going to other side of manifold.)

Comment

Jimmy-

Looks like that third hose (forgot about that one) should go into the block on the same side as the enrichment pump, directly behind the middle carb. I did not pull my oil tank off to verify, but take a look at the pics in the link. one pic is of the side of the carb you can see that line running from the pump, back and up next to the oil lines and into the block behind the middle carb. The other pic is of the line going between carb #1 & #2 and into the manifold on the opposite side. The third one is not visable in the pics ... but it sounds like you have that one figured out.

Here is the link:
            http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/ph...0&ppuser=18411

Ed

Comment

Interesting, I found the port on the manifold behind the enriching pump where that hose would go to, but the fuel line from the choke solenoid has been put there instead, hence the capping off of this hose from the enrichment pump... I guess the next thing to figure out is to verify if that is where the choke solenoid fuel line is suppose to go and if not, then where..

thanks for the pics and help!

Comment

Wait a minute ... what choke solenoid??? My '92 has no choke or choke solenoid ... that is what the enrichment pump does (richens the mixture by sending more fuel vs cutting back on the air).

Your carbs should be the same as mine (they are the same part #).

The plot thickens!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm beginning to realize there are some things are a bit out of place. This motor was 'hacked' on quite a bit before I got a hold of it, not to mention it was also used as a 'spare parts' motor by someone... I'm getting close, I'm going to remove the choke solenoid and use the enriching pump, only problem is the top cover to the enriching pump has been removed, and the wire connections have been broken off.

Comment

Working...
                  X