Racor S3213 Fuel Filter Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racor S3213 Fuel Filter Leaking

I figured I was doing a good thing by changing my Racor Filter S3213 with the clear bowl on the bottom. I got new filters and spun the bowl off the old one, replaced the o-ring that came with the new filter and spun it on the new filter, then put the filter on. When I pumped the prime bulb as pressure built up in the new filter I noticed a slight leak where the site bowl screws into the filter......then.....wham......the whole site bowl blew off. I figured I had a bad filter so I tried 2 more filter and same problem. The old filter/site bowl was brand new last year and I never had this problem pumping the bulb and blowing the site bowl off. My question is..........Is the site bowl only for one time use and should I get a new one ??? It is doing this on BOTH filters. I don't understand this. Has anyone had this problem before ? I figured since the new filter came with the green o-ring the site bowl was re-usable. I lubed the o-ring as recommended too.

The bowl is definitely reusable. Never heard of the problem you're having. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Comment

Known problem, ethanol caused the clear bowl threads to shrink. Racor put out bulletin, I'll look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tmann45 View Post
        Known problem, ethanol caused the clear bowl threads to shrink. Racor put out bulletin, I'll look for it.
        Shame, why is it when you try to do the right thing you compromise the very reliability sought?
        I was also going to suggest that light (uv) can also deteriorate the plastic.
        End of day doesn't say much for Racor.

Comment

Well.........it's a know problem.....here is a bulletin regarding the issue...shame because my bowls were just purchase last year.

http://www.parker.com/Literature/Rac...on_Filters.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Z.... View Post
            Well.........it's a know problem.....here is a bulletin regarding the issue...shame because my bowls were just purchase last year.

http://www.parker.com/Literature/Rac...on_Filters.pdf
            And their answer is purchase a new bowl from them. I'd seek an alternative brand, as surely the Americans have had a long tradition with alcohol and know how to make containers not affected by alcohol!

Comment

Working...
            X