X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115hp 2 stroke thermostates

Can I run my motor without the thermostats, will it harm anything

Originally posted by piper8150 View Post
    Can I run my motor without the thermostats yes, will it harm anything possibly
    Why would you even want to consider doing this?

You can run without the motor cover. You can run without the trim and tilt system being installed. You can run without the intake box being installed. You can do a lot of stuff. But why?

Comment

because there out for testing and they are good ,I guess I just want to know why I need them. If they stick shut you overheat. why take a chance if it does not hurt anything ? or maybe it does ?

Comment

because there out for testing and they are good ,I guess I just want to know why I need them. If they stick shut you overheat. why take a chance if it does not hurt anything ? or maybe it does ?
        As relevant your points are, unregulating the water cooling, or indeed opening up the water flow means the engine will run cold. The affects of this are unregular or incomplete burning of the fuel leading to high fuel consumption and poor engine performance. Physically things would not heat expand to the designed tolerance spaces. In this two stroke I would hazard to suggest this is irrelevant as much as I can hear protests to me saying that.

Comment

from what I have read over the years,
          if you remove the stats on any water cooled motor, there will be areas that run too cold and other areas that run too hot due to the water not circulating as it as designed to.

Some recommended to put a restrictor in place of the stats to force water to all of the places, but why do it. just keep proper working stats in them as they were designed.

Comment

+1 ^^^. They do help regulate the water flow thru out the engine..

They also help the engine warm up to normal operating temperatures as well.

If your flushing regularly and inspect occasionally, their pretty much maintenance free...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

and they are part of the water pressure control.

keep them maintained/replaced and they never fail.

Comment

Working...
              X