2000 SX150 SHOWA TILT dust cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 SX150 SHOWA TILT dust cap

I have already removed the trim caps and replaced the seals, all pretty easy.
    I was lucky that i had enough clearance to remove my Tilt cap and rod without having to remove the motor or loosen the transom mounting bolts.
    I have the bottom and middle seals on the tilt replaced easily, but the top seal/dustcap is giving me a problem. The plastic on it is much harder than any of the other trim/tilt seals. It has little to no flex. I have tried using a similar sized socket to help push it in but am getting nowhere. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
    I have double checked the part number and it is correct. The measurements for that part number are the same as when I measure the new seal. The seal that came out was dry-rotted and came out in a couple pieces so it was difficult to do a direct comparison.
    Thanks
    IMG_1119.jpg

Soak the seal in hot water and see if it softens up. Then maybe a bit of oil on it to help it slide into place.

Comment

Besides the above, perhaps instead of the normal hammer/impact procedure,
      get everything in a vise and gently press them together (same tools, just pressure vs pounding)..

Good luck.

(we are assuming ALL of the old seal is out, correct?)
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        Besides the above, perhaps instead of the normal hammer/impact procedure,
        get everything in a vise and gently press them together (same tools, just pressure vs pounding)..

Good luck.

(we are assuming ALL of the old seal is out, correct?)
        from what I read it sounds like the unit is still on the motor, so will be impossible to get into a vice

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          from what I read it sounds like the unit is still on the motor, so will be impossible to get into a vice
          The cap and the seal is in his pic, in the first post:

Quote: "i had enough clearance to remove my Tilt cap and rod" end quote,
          so I'm pretty sure that's off (and pictured) and the issue.

Shouldn't be a problem getting in a vise, (or hammering on a work bench).

I may be wrong, but don't think so, this time
          Scott

Comment

Sorry, I was thinking he had to have it on the cylinder already. my screw up

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              Sorry, I was thinking he had to have it on the cylinder already. my screw up
              Been there, done that!
              Scott

Comment

I live in a glass house and won't be throwing any rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  I live in a glass house and won't be throwing any rocks.
                  Hope you have curtains!
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X