Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

I just ordered a pair of 300 Yamahas for my boat. Presently I have Odyssey batteries which are sealed. I was told that I have to use wet cell batteries or it would void the warranties on the engines. Is this true? And if it is, why?

You were given incorrect information.

You can use a flooded lead acid battery or a sealed lead acid battery. Sealed could be maintenance free flooded lead acid battery or a valve regulated lead acid battery aka an AGM type.

Many many years ago before they wised up Yamaha poo poo'd the use of anything but a flooded lead acid battery. Then all of a sudden they changed their minds. What was once no good, and possibly harmful, miraculously became acceptable. Strange that.

Comment

Just be sure your batteries meet/exceed Yamaha's minimum requirements as stated in the owner's manuals for the motors you ordered.

For the current 300 HP models the requirement is...
      Minimum cold cranking amps: (CCA/SAE): 512.0 A
      Minimum marine cranking amps (MCA/ABYC): 675.0 A
      Minimum reserve capacity (RC/SAE): 182 Minutes

Even if your Odyssey's meet the minimum requirements, I would have them tested at a local marine/auto parts store that performs the test at no cost and gives a report on the actual performance to document that they meet said requirements. Best if you can have this done by the place that you bought the batteries from. I do this annually to be sure. If under warranty and they fail the test, I have had new replacements given to me at no cost under the warranty. I have new batteries tested as well, before I install them. You can get a "bad" new battery.
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

if you were told this by the shop you are buying the motors from, I would ask them for proof in writing from Yamaha that this is correct,

they are the ones setting up the warranty and you do not want to start out doing what they say on just what they tell you verbally.

They may just want to sell you some batteries

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
          Just be sure your batteries meet/exceed Yamaha's minimum requirements as stated in the owner's manuals for the motors you ordered.

For the current 300 HP models the requirement is...
          Minimum cold cranking amps: (CCA/SAE): 512.0 A
          Minimum marine cranking amps (MCA/ABYC): 675.0 A
          Minimum reserve capacity (RC/SAE): 182 Minutes

Even if your Odyssey's meet the minimum requirements, I would have them tested at a local marine/auto parts store that performs the test at no cost and gives a report on the actual performance to document that they meet said requirements. Best if you can have this done by the place that you bought the batteries from. I do this annually to be sure. If under warranty and they fail the test, I have had new replacements given to me at no cost under the warranty. I have new batteries tested as well, before I install them. You can get a "bad" new battery.
          Not sure where you got your information from but it does not agree with the F300XCA owner's manual and service manual. I am presuming that the OP is referring to the Offshore model. We almost never ever get this information.

To self test a battery is a fairly easy task. A good voltmeter is needed. Pull the kill switch lanyard so that the motor won't start. Crank the motor for 5 ~ 10 seconds while monitoring the battery voltage. It needs to remain above 10.5 volts. If so, it passes the load test.

Where the hell is fairdeal? I have a question for him. Paging Mr. fairdeal, paging Mr. fairdeal.

Last edited by boscoe99; 07-22-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Where the hell is fairdeal? I have a question for him. Paging Mr. fairdeal, paging Mr. fairdeal.
              Fairdeal here, Boss.

(Still not "home" - but expect to be back within reach of the Yamaha on Monday)

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                Fairdeal here, Boss.

(Still not "home" - but expect to be back within reach of the Yamaha on Monday)
                My question relates to Reserve Capacity (RC) requirements. It is defined as the ability of a battery to supply X amount of current for Y period of time. X being 25 amps and in the case of your Yamaha F225, it is now 124 minutes. Two hours and 4 minutes. Originally it was 182 minutes. Three hours and 2 minutes.

Reserve capacity comes into play if and when the electrical generation system has failed. The battery is then providing all of the electrical juice to operate it. Enough to get someone home on, hopefully before the engine quits and you become stranded.

My question is, why do you think the RC is what it is? Is there someone that is going to be operating their F225 motor more than 2 hours away from land (at a cruise speed of 25 MPH that would be 50 statute miles) with only a single battery being installed? If there are two batteries installed do they each need to have an RC of 124 minutes? Or can the 124 minute requirement be spread over two or more batteries?

Keep in mind that an F225 is not drawing 25 amps when it is running on the battery alone. It is less than this amount.

Sign me, curious.

Comment

In a general sense, most boat dealers suck.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    In a general sense, most boat dealers suck.
                    Seems to be true. Sadly.

I stay away from boat dealers.

Comment

Not sure where you got your information from but it does not agree with the F300XCA owner's manual and service manual. I am presuming that the OP is referring to the Offshore model. We almost never ever get this information.

To self test a battery is a fairly easy task. A good voltmeter is needed. Pull the kill switch lanyard so that the motor won't start. Crank the motor for 5 ~ 10 seconds while monitoring the battery voltage. It needs to remain above 15.5 volts. If so, it passes the load test.

Boscoe, I stand corrected The specs I quoted are for Z/LZ 300 . You are correct. Still, Whatever is stated in the owner's manual for the motors petoralfin ordered, he must meet or exceed.
                      Chuck,

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                        Boscoe, I stand corrected The specs I quoted are for Z/LZ 300 . You are correct. Still, Whatever is stated in the owner's manual for the motors petoralfin ordered, he must meet or exceed.
                        I would agree with you for the most part. However, Yamaha almost never updates their owner's manuals or service manuals. Specifications get changed (up or down) and the poor owner or service tech never gets the word.

Let's say motor 2009 comes with electrical generation system Z. Yamaha specifies battery B. Motor 2016 comes with electrical generation system Z. Yamaha specifies battery C. Battery C has a lower specification than battery B.

Do you feel that the owner of motor 2009 must meet or exceed the specifications stated for battery B in his owner's manual? Or can he uses battery C?

Comment

You were given incorrect information.

You can use a flooded lead acid battery or a sealed lead acid battery. Sealed could be maintenance free flooded lead acid battery or a valve regulated lead acid battery aka an AGM type.

Many many years ago before they wised up Yamaha poo poo'd the use of anything but a flooded lead acid battery. Then all of a sudden they changed their minds. What was once no good, and possibly harmful, miraculously became acceptable. Strange that.
                          Just to be clear, Odyssey Marine Batteries are "Dry Cell". What is the difference between this battery, and the "flooded lead acid battery", and the "sealed lead acid battery" you mention?
                          Does Yamaha honor warrantees with "Dry Cell Batteries", or not? This is the OP's question.
                          A little confused?
                          Last edited by cpostis; 07-22-2016, 11:34 AM. Reason: corrected puntuation
                          Chuck,

Comment

My question relates to Reserve Capacity (RC) requirements. It is defined as the ability of a battery to supply X amount of current for Y period of time. X being 25 amps and in the case of your Yamaha F225, it is now 124 minutes. Two hours and 4 minutes. Originally it was 182 minutes. Three hours and 2 minutes.

Reserve capacity comes into play if and when the electrical generation system has failed. The battery is then providing all of the electrical juice to operate it. Enough to get someone home on, hopefully before the engine quits and you become stranded.

My question is, why do you think the RC is what it is? ....

Sign me, curious.
                            Interesting question.

My suspicion is that it is just some engineer's SWAG - so they have an answer when someone asks....

Comment

I expect Bajakeith to hold forth any moment

Comment

Working...
                              X