Tach Setting 2-stroke V4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Setting 2-stroke V4

Have a -95 130hp V4 and a digital tach. What shall the tach setting be? I have the older digital tach with a yellow knob that can turn to "6","8", "10" and "12".
    Dont mind the Swedish spelling!

12 pole setting.

Comment

Thanks for a quick reply!

Comment

The yellow knob was fooling me a little, since it is behind the mounting bracket it looked like it was pointing at "8" but after removing the bracket it looked more like it was pointing at "12", very unclear markings. The engine revs around 7-800 rpm at idle and at wot today 5400 so it's within specs. I'm having trouble reving it past 5500. It's a 17 footer v-bottomed and with a 19 inch pitch propeller.

Comment

If the motor is operating normally then you might simply be over pitched. Most motors seem to be. Maybe try a 17" pitch propeller to see what the performance change might be.

Comment

Have you tried trimming the motor up just a little while running at wide open throttle?....might give you an extra 200 or 300 RPM's and a bit more speed....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Have you tried trimming the motor up just a little while running at wide open throttle?....might give you an extra 200 or 300 RPM's and a bit more speed....
              Forgot about that.

Also, might as well check the engine mounting height to ensure it is at the optimum position.

Then too, sometimes a different brand and model of propeller can make a lot of difference.

There is a lot involved in getting the best performance from a boat, motor and propeller.

Comment

Thanks for all inputs. I feel like I have checked and found good settings for the engine (height, trim, etc) I get a really good noose lift when I try to go fast with both my propellers. I'm lacking revs and speed though. I don't have the data on the engine where I am now but i think it says something like 5500-6000 rpm at WOT and maximum torque is around 5600. Does these figures seem right for my engine? Shouldn't I be somewhere around 6000 rpm at WOT in light load condition or is somewhere around 54-5500 "good enough"? If I but my values in a prop slip calculator I get around 18% slip, isn't that to much slip?
                A lot of questions......
                Last edited by Lazlo24; 07-30-2016, 04:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

the RPM range for the 95 130 is 5000-6000.
                  you may try trimming or a different prop.

Comment

Working...
                  X