Convering from pull to elect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convering from pull to elect

Hi to all : My wife now wants to run our small panga ( 2015 40HP Enduro 2 stroke). Does anyone here know if it can be converted to an electric start ? Im thinking a new fly wheel/stater , a key switch and bttry ? We are keeping it a tiller steering type. I appreciate any input/ help on this matter.
    Thx Ken

I doubt you could justify the cost of parts and labor....maybe better to find a similar motor with electric starter....

Comment

We here in the US don't have Enduro models available and have not had them for a number of years.

Best you can do is to look at the Enduro models available where you bought yours to see if they make an equivalent version but with electric start. Then compare the differences between the non electric and the electric start to determine the parts that are needed.

Also see a dealer from where the motor was purchased to see if Yamaha offers an electric start conversion kit. Not likely but...

Good luck. Even with my lowly Mercury 25 two stroke I wished that I bought the electric start version. The wife never could start it.

Comment

Thank you ! I will check at the dealer.. The enduros here in the Caribbean are pretty much bullet proof, I don't know whats different about them, but they run almost forever ~
        Ken

Comment

Could well be the best, most dependable outboard made.....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
            Could well be the best, most dependable outboard made.....
            Probably one of the few statements that we all can agree upon.

Except for maybe our resident contrarian. AKA Mr. Rodbolt.

Comment

the endure series were fine motors.

they are used a lot in the jungle areas of Venezuela.
              no bells or whistles just a solid dependable motor.

Comment

My wife and i were both born and raised in Clearwater / palm harbor Fl, I worked for Duke energy for 36 years and we just retired 2 years ago and moved to Utila ( Small island off Honduras) awesome place, and yes talking to the locals here, this 40 Enduro is VERY popular for small pangas, I know one guy who owns one and he said he's had his 9 years, changed the water pump ONCE and the 2 spark plugs 4 times, lower gear lube twice and it just goes and goes. God knows just how many hrs are on it. There are tons of them here. NO fresh water flushing etc. Weird.....
                I also just bought a 30 ft Panga wih a 2014 Yamaha 225 4 stroke Model F225 BETX Which again I guess is a caribbean model ? We'll see how it holds up as well.
                Thx guys !
                Ken

Comment

My father worked for Duke Energy also. Mill Power Supply division. Retired '88

I must ask....what is the advantage of a Panga?

Comment

Long story short, all the various docks down here some are in good shape others Not so, bolts sticking out etc. you just don't want / need a sweet 80K boat here, Iv'e learned,as I have seen all the locals and what they use on a daily basis, although some are diesel dory's. I drove my 30 ft Stamas with a cat 3116 here and finally found out that "here" they only work on Yanmars, (my mistake from not researching) so I sold it to a guy in roatan, they have cat mechanics there. In any event the pangas are great LOW maintenance hulls, most all are built in Guatemala ,& very strong. Most do-not have all the perks the US hulls have like lots of storage,rod holders, lighting etc, however you can dress them up as you wish..
                    Just kinda live & learn I guess. I think there is 1 contender on this island, and a few american US hulls, mako, grady, etc. Roatan has more but it is a much larger island.
                    Take care..

Comment

What made you choose Honduras? I am thinking of moving to Costa Rica some day. Next choice might be Panama.

There are expats no matter where one chooses to go in the world.

Comment

A friend with his wife, sold everything here in Tx that they owned and moved to Panama.
                        they love it.
                        live up on side of mountain on Pacific side.
                        said it is nice and cool at night and not too warm during the day.
                        do not need A/C
                        takes about 30 minutes to get down to the coast.
                        free dives and spears YF tuna and catches other fish.
                        Have to watch the tides to make sure you can get out and back in thru the mangroves to launch thou.

said there are people from all over the globe living in the area plus some natives

Comment

You caught it just before I could get back at you for pointing out my faux pas.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            You caught it just before I could get back at you for pointing out my faux pas.
                            If you are talking about the voltage thread and responding to me, I was just throwing something a friend did in moving to one of the places you mentioned in this thread.
                            if you were not pointing to me then sorry, as I did not follow the responce properly

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              If you are talking about the voltage thread and responding to me, I was just throwing something a friend did in moving to one of the places you mentioned in this thread.
                              if you were not pointing to me then sorry, as I did not follow the responce properly
                              I was talking to you.

Your post at one point read "said it is nice and cool at light and not too warm during the day."

At least it did so on my computer.

I was just about to make fun of you, as a way of getting back at you, for you having caught my mistake when I said the load test spec was 15.5 volts. Then light was changed to night.

Comment

Working...
                              X