Cables versus fly by wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables versus fly by wire

Got to see a Yam helm master in operation recently. Wondering about the various actuators necessary to accomplish this. Would they be hydraulic? Boat or engine mounted? I guess you would need one for throttle, shifter and steering? Fancy stuff no doubt....would you even need an Icv if you had an "auto throttle" so to speak?

The engines are hydraulically steered via power steering. Some engines can turn left while others might turn right or stay straight ahead at the time. Some may be in reverse while others are in forward gear.

By ICV do you mean the idle control valve? The bigger engines don't use an idle air control valve. The throttle valve is electronically con*****ed to allow the necessary amount of air into the system.

Helm Master | Yamaha Outboards

Comment

I was looking at the Yam site. I couldn't see any real mechanical explanation. How is the shifter driven into and out of gear?

Granted, this technology is way above my pay grade at this time. There was a show where this was mounted on a 36ft Grady with triple 300s. 500 or 600K boat......retractable awning, grill, diesel genset Blah blah blah

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        I was looking at the Yam site. I couldn't see any real mechanical explanation. How is the shifter driven into and out of gear?

Granted, this technology is way above my pay grade at this time. There was a show where this was mounted on a 36ft Grady with triple 300s. 500 or 600K boat......retractable awning, grill, diesel genset Blah blah blah
        By either the throttle handles as one would shift with a conventional motor or via the joystick control when in the fancy dancy mode.

Comment

Boscoe, thanks. Should have been more clear. Wondering what Yam is using to move the actual shifter shaft? Motor, hydraulics, solenoid etc. versus the regular cable action.

Comment

Boscoe, thanks. Should have been more clear. Wondering what Yam is using to move the actual shifter shaft? Motor, hydraulics, solenoid etc. versus the regular cable action.
            It is an electro-mechanical servo. Con*****ed by the shift lever through an ECM in the control box to the ECM on the motor.

Comment

Cool! Thanks. Assume SDS is standard, hell prob standard on all these motors these days. Hope one cannot hack this system. Be hell at the dock if so.....

Comment

Cool! Thanks. Assume SDS is standard, hell prob standard on all these motors these days. Hope one cannot hack this system. Be hell at the dock if so.....
                What is your version of SDS?

To me it stands for Shift Dampener System. A type of hub used with some Yamaha propellers.

Not sure how it applies to the DEC. Digital Engine Control. Where the engines are throttled and shifted via servos.

Comment

Assuming SDS is standard on the digital motors, probably easier on the servo for shifting purposes. I do not have SDS, you can hear me shift from 75 yards away. Big clunk! Never any metal in foot oil though!

Comment

Assuming SDS is standard on the digital motors, probably easier on the servo for shifting purposes. I do not have SDS, you can hear me shift from 75 yards away. Big clunk! Never any metal in foot oil though!
                    Motors don't come with propellers. However. Most of the DEC motors do come with hardware for a propeller with an SDS hub.

The servo is not affected by the type of propeller hub. Now the gear case, that is a different subject.

You seem to be a thinker like fairdeal. Good for you.

Comment

How bout 2-3 forward gears?
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I ponder a bit. Did we ever find Zeno?

Comment

Zeno may be adrift
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            How bout 2-3 forward gears?
                            Can we spin a prop too fast. Cavitate to the point of uselessness. Maybe variable pitch prop?

Comment

Can we spin a prop too fast. Cavitate to the point of uselessness. Maybe variable pitch prop?
                              Instead of just using the RPM range of the engine and appropriate prop and WOT for top speed, just like a car, use gears, half the throttle once up to higher speeds. Faster out of the hole performance, lower RPM's at the top end, better fuel mileage..

Again, like cars, smaller engines with more gears to make up for cubic inches..
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X