Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Yamaha F250 Lower Unit Fluid Capacities

All;

I just changed the gear lube in both lowers today. When refilling I could only get 48oz to go in between the two (twins). The manual calls for 30oz in the starboard and 27oz in the Port engine. Somehow I am left with 9oz of gear lube.
    I have changed fluids many times in the past on Mercury and Suzuki's, this is my first set of Yamaha's. I waited for a while, spun the props, drained in the upright position in order to get it all out. Filled in the level position and raised/lowered a bit to be sure.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Are the capacities given for new, empty units, will that much stay in the housing?

Thanks for any responses.

capacity chart is for dry units.
    fill slowly from the bottom till it comes out the top.
    go play.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Rodbolt.

I have changed many in the past and never really thought about it. I always did it the way you said to. But was warned the counter rotation side took less and got real anal about it after reading various threads on another site.

Comment

How the lower unit is orientated and how long it is left to drain can affect how much oil can be added the next time it is refilled.

It can take a bit of time for heavy gear oil to work its way into the nooks and crannies within the lower unit. Slowly fill the gear case and after you see air bubble free oil come from the vent hole stop and take about a 5 minute break. Then come back and top off the gear case. It is important to get that extra bit of oil into the gear case.

Yamaha provides notice of this to their mechanics but have little way of reaching the owners who service their own motors. They could put something in the owners manual about it but few take the time to open the book.

Comment

Working...
        X