1997 Yamaha 80hp Leaks Fuel when Tilted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Yamaha 80hp Leaks Fuel when Tilted

I have a 1987 Yamaha 80HP outboard 2 cycle motor. The engine has 3 carburetors. When the engine is tilted up, fuel leaks out of the bottom carburetor. The top 2 carburetors are just fine. Since I leave the boat in the water several weeks at a time, I want the engine tilted. The fuel drips out of the engine cover and on to the stern, then, goes into the canal. Essentially there is a fuel slick around my boat.

One solution I have read is to disconnect the fuel line and run the engine out of fuel before tilting. I can do this but I have also read that this is not good for the engine. Don't know why.

Since only the bottom carburetor is leaking fuel when tilted, I am wondering if I should remove and clean only the bottom carburetor. Maybe rebuild.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I can't help with the "real" fix, other than to say to take a look at where it is leaking and maybe there's seal that can be replaced or something isn't tight. But the reason you don't want to run it dry is because a 2-stroke runs on a mix of gas/oil. The oil is used to lubricate the engine. If you run it dry, it's not getting oil
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I would check float, float adjustment,needle, and seat

Comment

+1 ^^^^..

Sounds like fuel is seeping past the needle/seat on carb #3 (gravity helping the fuel flow over time) from the rest of the fuel system/lines...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to remove #3 Carburetor tomorrow and perform an autopsy. We will see what we have.
          Thanks,

Comment

70 hp

Just did mine on 70 hp float was stuck fuel flooding. Took carbs off and took cover off bowl and it was little gunky. Sprayed everything with carb cleaner, works fine now. Watch rubbers seal on carb bowl when taking off and putting back on,..
            Good luck. .

Comment

if you find junk in #3 the others probably have some too

Comment

Well I solved my problem. Evidently, when I rebuilt the carburetors several years ago, I replaced the seal between the float bowl and the carburetor. This seal is like a molded complex O Ring seal. Anyway, I remember having trouble getting the seal to stay in the groove. When I removed the bowl this afternoon, one leg of the seal was not in the groove and you could see pinch marks on it. That caused fuel to leak out of the bowl when the engine was tilted.

Problem Solved. Wish everyone's problems were this easy.

Comment

Congrats. Me too.....

Comment

Easy peesy!! Congrates..
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Cool! We don't always get the "easy" ones!
                      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                      X