2013 G3,F115xa ,possible remote,linkage or lower gear issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 G3,F115xa ,possible remote,linkage or lower gear issue

My remote started shifting hard a couple of weeks ago, took it out again this week and it started making more than usual clanking noise when going into gear and still hard to move remote handle forward or reverse. I decided the other day to drop the gear case and look for any problems also changed out the water pump. The remote was in Neutral when I dropped it, verified the shift shaft was in Neutral before putting it back in.

Water pump works, prop turns in correct rotation forward and reverse, stills make a clanking sound when remote is in neutral the prop spins but clanks, move the remote back and forth and it stops clanking, spins freely, move the remote again back and forth then into neutral and it moves freely but clanks. It seems to me that something is out of alignment being the remote got tight. My boat G3 and motor F115xa is only 3 years old and only like 180 hours on that motor. I have a Clymer manual but that only gets you so far.

With the LU installed, can you remove the shifter cable at the engine and make sure the "slide/shifter" is dead center (in neutral) on the marks. You should NOT be getting any clicking at this point.

Have a helper, shift the helm control into forward and reverse and watch to see if the cable is moving back and forth appropriately. It almost sounds like there's too much play.

Before re-installing the cable, make sure both the engine and the helm shifter are in neutral.

The cable SHOULD drop straight down on the engine slide. If its not, adjust accordingly.

If you still have the clicking/ partial engagement when in neutral, you have issues in the LU...

Obviously, that shifter linkage from the helm to the engine (not hooked up) should also shift without much effort,
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X