Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Yamaha 115hp 2stroke Intermittent Alarm Buzzer

Hi Guys,

My Yamaha in the last few weeks has developed an annoying problem of the low oil buzzer alarm being triggered and forcing the RPM limiter to engage. I have the Yamaha Mutli Gauges and when the alarm goes off the Oil lights flash on the Tach Gauge as to indicate low oil. However the curve ball to this versus other similar issues I have read online is that the Speddo gauge goes blanks and turns off at the same time or flashes on and off. I have checked the oil in both the main and remote tank and all appears to be ok with both of them and their operation. The on/off nature of the speedo gauge leads me to believe that its a bad wire or ground to the speedo. Would this cause the alarm? Any tips to test the wires?

Thanks in advance!

Attached are a picture of the wires to the speedo gauge (the ones with the white tape around them. Also a picture of the gauges while the alarm is going off (Speedo off and Oil indicators blinking)
    Attached Files

If both gauges are acting up at the same time this would tend to indicate a voltage supply issue.

Low voltage will cause the warning buzzer to sound. Low voltage will cause all three lights/icons to illuminate at the same time. Low voltage will cause the motor to go into the RPM reduction mode. Low voltage will cause the speedometer to go dark.

You did not say so but are all of the oil lights illuminating at the same time? Photos seems to indicate this is the situation.

Comment

Thanks. Yes all three oil indicator lights will blink at the same time as the alarm goes on.

For low voltage should I test the battery with a voltage reader? I have both a house and a starting battery. The battery meter built in to the the Yamaha gauges seems to read voltage of the battery between 13.2 to 14.2 while running when the gauge is on and not turning off during the alarm.

Comment

Check all of the electrical connections for cleanliness and corrosion. Battery cables at both ends, connection to battery switch(s), fuse connections, cable connections on the motor itself, etc.

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Comment

Checked and tightened all connections. Nothing obvious. Ran Friday night and all day Sunday with no alarms.

One question I have is my friend has a key (original) and I have a key that I purchased off amazon. It appears the alarms only go off when my key(amazon key) is the one we are using. I know may be a long shot but just wondering if that has anything to do with the issue?

Comment

Has this happened on multiple times with the different keys?
              one causing problem and then the other did not?
              I do not see how a key would cause this

Comment

Working...
              X