Ever had this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had this happen?

When I "unwinterized" the engine this year, and I went to start it, the engine wouldn't turn over - the starter gear would engage the flywheel, but the flywheel wouldn't turn over. I double checked the battery condition and connections - all was good. The only thing I could think of was that somehow the engine/pistons/rings froze up over the Winter.

I pulled the plugs out and tried rotating the flywheel but it was completely stuck. I tried the starter and this time it "unfroze" and turned over perfect. I put the plugs back in and it fired right up. The next minute or two was spent fogging the yard for mosquitoes, until the fogging oil burned off.

So, I would assume that it was indeed a stuck ring? All seems fine, I was just curious how common this is? I'm from a boating family, with lot's and lot's of boats, and have never, ever had this happen before.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Maybe rings stuck to cylinder walls with rust?....Was motor fogged at end of season?....

Comment

he talked about the fogging oil burning off, so I would think it was fogged

maybe it was hydro locked with fogging oil or 2 stroke oil, and when you pulled the plugs it was able to move

Comment

Working...
      X