50 hp Yamaha 2 stroke won't stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 hp Yamaha 2 stroke won't stay running

Boats been sitting for 2 years. Drained carbs, put new plugs and drained all gas with new gas in . Runs fine with ear muffs on however when we get it into the lake then put it in reverse or forward the engine just quits. it will run fine on fast and low idle . have no idea what it could be and could use some suggestions which I could maybe try before taking it to a dealer.

Probably a carb rebuild is in your future....

Comment

At least a good cleaning of the carbs.

When stored with fuel, the jets clog up with varnish....
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The "drained all gas" has me concerned.

The TLR platform has rock solid "spark or gas" reliability and appears still available for countries with less stringent emissions. However, it is a throwback to pre-ethanol days. Ethanol is a hydroscopic solvent that can pull water out of humid air and fall out of gasoline Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline When this happens, the parts rated for 10% ethanol are now subject to much greater concentrations. (Try buying a new car without fuel injection)

Your description sounds just like many of us experienced with crapped up carbs. I had a repeat the trip after spending all day cleaning the three on my 90 hp TLR. After a costly service, I discovered my work was fine, except I didn't go far enough. The fuel system upstream of the motor was contaminated and undid all my work with the next turn of the key. Asking a carburetor to overcome that mess with venturi effect is a bit much (Try buying a new car without fuel injection).

I now empty the boat of all fuel between trips and leave the tanks open and upside down. I rigged a 12V solenoid fuel pump with a cord and hose to pump the fuel into the truck. I also replaced the fuel hose with copper save the ends that connect to the outboard and tank. Over the past holiday weekend I found my electrical connectors had corroded knocking out my gps, radio, lights, etc. The TLR with a perfect fuel system and fresh gas ran as good as it did when purchased. I prefer no fuel to go bad over any stabilizer or additive.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          At least a good cleaning of the carbs.

When stored with fuel, the jets clog up with varnish....
          Agreed. 2 years of storage for sure your jets are clogged. Pull carbs and give a thorough cleaning. Probably should give the fuel pump a once over since fuel has been sitting idle also.
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
          X