C40TLRX - Ethanol Dogging Me For Six Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C40TLRX - Ethanol Dogging Me For Six Months

Gas in tank went bad over winter. My first mistake was not draining it, thinking instead I could dilute it on through, as I do every year, and let the newly replaced fuel/water separator filter catch the crap. Although the fuel smelled worse this time, I knew I had treated the fuel with Stabil...... lesson learned.

In operation, engine began starving for fuel at high rpm. Filter changed again, showed plenty of water and "trash". Drained fuel tank. Pulled sending unit under floor access hatch, and can see crud, so I bought two gallons of alcohol and an electric fuel pump, and recirculate through system, filter in line, until things are looking clean and clear. Emptied tank of alcohol and let dry. Replaced pick-up and sending unit. Put in fuel and recirculated with electric pump. Changed filter, which again had some water (1/2 as much as first time). On water test; engine seemed like it starved again. Fuel line is clogging up, apparently from internal disintegration.

I gave up on permanent tank, switched over to portable. Up to this point, engine would start and idle fine. But of course, now that I have eliminated the permanent tank/hoses from the equation, I encounter rough idle, rough running, hard starting. I rebuilt carbs, clearing jets, but did not wait on carb kit, no parts replaced......... second major lesson learned......

...... on water test: engine would idle OK, got up to speed, then at WOT after a few seconds (maybe 1 minute) engine began to slow, eventually stalling roughly..... re-start attempts indicated engine may have seized, as it would not turn over, or would just barely turn.

I was thinking I had scorched #2, as I had some difficulty getting fuel to flow to that carb. Subsequent inspection revealed fuel in that carb, and all plugs looked the same: dry. So I'm sure I ran it lean, maybe lean enough to damage something. It has probably been lean during a lot of this troubleshooting.

I could turn the engine by hand from the flywheel, although it seemed somewhat tight to me. I put some fogging oil in cylinders, and briefly turned engine over with starter. It eventually loosened up to what seemed almost normal, while I checked compression, which appeared OK. I am not trying to start the engine, until I rebuild the carbs with carb kit. That's where it stands.

At this point, I was thinking in addition to carb rebuild, I should, as necessary evaluate/replace fuel lines, fuel pump, connections, and on-engine filter, Is there anything else I should do before attempting to start it again? Thanks.

P.S. I have already kicked my own ass for, first, not draining the tank at the beginning, and second, potentially compounding that mistake by not rebuilding the carbs properly before operating again, after “decommissioning” the permanent tank. No need to pile on unless you have an overly compelling urge to do so and think it will reinforce my learning experience.

Originally posted by a387673 View Post
    Gas in tank went bad over winter. My first mistake was not draining it, thinking instead I could dilute it on through, as I do every year, and let the newly replaced fuel/water separator filter catch the crap. Although the fuel smelled worse this time, I knew I had treated the fuel with Stabil...... lesson learned.

In operation, engine began starving for fuel at high rpm. Filter changed again, showed plenty of water and "trash". Drained fuel tank. Pulled sending unit under floor access hatch, and can see crud, so I bought two gallons of alcohol and an electric fuel pump, and recirculate through system, filter in line, until things are looking clean and clear. Emptied tank of alcohol and let dry. Replaced pick-up and sending unit. Put in fuel and recirculated with electric pump. Changed filter, which again had some water (1/2 as much as first time). On water test; engine seemed like it starved again. Fuel line is clogging up, apparently from internal disintegration.

This a confession. What would your priest say to make you feel better, or how many Hail Mary's do you deserve?

I gave up on permanent tank, switched over to portable. Up to this point, engine would start and idle fine. But of course, now that I have eliminated the permanent tank/hoses from the equation, I encounter rough idle, rough running, hard starting. I rebuilt carbs, clearing jets, but did not wait on carb kit, no parts replaced......... second major lesson learned......

...... on water test: engine would idle OK, got up to speed, then at WOT after a few seconds (maybe 1 minute) engine began to slow, eventually stalling roughly..... re-start attempts indicated engine may have seized, as it would not turn over, or would just barely turn.

I was thinking I had scorched #2, as I had some difficulty getting fuel to flow to that carb. Subsequent inspection revealed fuel in that carb, and all plugs looked the same: dry. So I'm sure I ran it lean, maybe lean enough to damage something. It has probably been lean during a lot of this troubleshooting.

I could turn the engine by hand from the flywheel, although it seemed somewhat tight to me. I put some fogging oil in cylinders, and briefly turned engine over with starter. It eventually loosened up to what seemed almost normal, while I checked compression, which appeared OK. I am not trying to start the engine, until I rebuild the carbs with carb kit. That's where it stands.

At this point, I was thinking in addition to carb rebuild, I should, as necessary evaluate/replace fuel lines, fuel pump, connections, and on-engine filter, Is there anything else I should do before attempting to start it again? Thanks.

P.S. I have already kicked my own ass for, first, not draining the tank at the beginning, and second, potentially compounding that mistake by not rebuilding the carbs properly before operating again, after “decommissioning” the permanent tank. No need to pile on unless you have an overly compelling urge to do so and think it will reinforce my learning experience.
    Go to a priest and accept 100 Hail Marys

Comment

I would make sure the cylinders look ok
      bore scope may show scaring or piston damage.

I would have dropped the lower unit when it was binding up to eliminate the lower as what was causing it.

not sure kits will help the carbs.
      a very good cleaning and setting as service manual calls for is needed after replacing lines, pump and filter.

junk will plug things up as soon as you clean the carbs unless you clean and flush the whole system

Comment

In another thread regarding "dry plugs", it was suggested that water in the cylinder(s) could cause that appearance. Mine looked like the pictures of dry plugs in that thread. A leakdown test was suggested in that case. Is that appropriate and is anything else suggested in my case where it was consistent across all 3 cylinders? Thanks.

Comment

If you have a toasted cylinder with rings damaged, the leak down test would show the lack of sealing.

Could you see into the combustion chamber/ top of piston for any damage?

Might not hurt to pull the head and peek but the leakdown test should show any discrepancies...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The plot has thickened and I am not too sure of anything at this point. I looked with a borescope, and it appeared that there may be a crack on top of the #1 piston. All pistons have appearance of what looks a little like a rash, with varying density, along with an orange tint. The scope did not have a camera. Somehow, the compression check was good..... must be a hairline crack if there is one.

I guess the leakdown test will allow me to observe variation in cylinders, but I was thinking, regardless of what it says, motor may need to be torn down anyway. I was working in that direction when I discovered the apparent reason the manual doesn't describe simple removal of the head for inspection. It seems that the entire powerhead must be removed because the bottom bolts on the head won't clear the lower cowling otherwise.

If I have summed this up correctly, it is about time to let someone else take over. I just started a new job..... not much time.

Can anyone recommend an honest, competent Yamaha mechanic near Atlanta? Thanks.

Comment

Got a master tech in Savannah! Got to be one nearby since lake Lanier is so busy nearby. Call the support number in Kennesaw and ask them.

Comment

Working...
              X