Unresponsive Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unresponsive Tach

I have a 2003 F115 and my tach (Teleflex) that came with the boat when new has stopped working. It stays at 0 and after running for a while it will slowly creep up to 1,000 rpms. I tried installing a new Teleflex tach and still no dice. Both old and new tach "zero out" when ignition is switched on - but no responsive readings when motor is started -- ANY IDEAS?

An addendum to my problem...I have referenced the Clymer manual for my engine and it says that on the 115 motor I have, the tach signal is sent from the engine control unit (ECU) and not the rectifier/regulator....but I have no idea how to go about testing where the problem may be...I have checked the wiring from the gauge to the remote control/ignition and all looks well....I'm lost from here

Comment

More infor for any of you boat docs out there that can help me out.....I tested the back of my tach with a voltmeter...reading 12 volts from both power terminal and signal terminal, even when engine is reving....does that mean signal is coming through and bad gauge, or too much voltage on signal lead and problem with signal? Someone please help

Comment

Normally when a tach does that it is a bad tach. The tach signal wire on back of tach can be tested with a ac voltmeter, voltage will increase when rpm's increase. Make sure tach is set for 12 pole alternator setting.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Tried new Teleflex gauge....tach will respond when motor first cranked, but then nothing...voltmeter reading for signal/sender lead is 12V on DC and 30 on AC...it is set to right pole setting (6P).......Completely Lost NOW.....Guess I can always blame it on the engime gremlins!!!

Comment

Working...
          X