1996 75 TLRU trim/tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 75 TLRU trim/tilt

I have my 1996 75 TLRU trim/tilt unit apart and find that to replace the dust seal in the TILT ROD CAP you have to buy the whole assembly (piston,rod and yoke). BIG BUCKS. In 1997 they changed the design so that just the seal can be purchased. I can't see how to get the assembly apart. Is there a workaround to get at that seal. If not and I cut the rod and weld it back together to get to the seal can it be replaced with a seal from a 1997 unit, are the rods the same diameter?

The tag reads like this:
    C 75 TLRU
    692 L 411195
    X
    I am still looking to disassemble the piston/rod assembly. I have removed the bottom screw and pins,springs,check valves(?) and ball balls. There is a roll pin in the side of the piston that I have not been able to remove so far. I am looking for the diam. of the 1997 rod where the dust seal is available. If I can get it apart or cut off the yoke and reweld after replacing the dust seal it should work fine but I need the 97 rod diam to make sure they are the same.

I would have answered the quick reply but couldn't find the "icons above" to click on.

Comment

May need to mount a rescue mission to the Outer Banks to find him?

Comment

Okay - The 1996 model does not show a separate dust seal for the tilt rod, just as part of the assembly.
        The 1997 75 with tilt shows a tilt rod dust seal, #24 PN 6H1-43871-00-00
        The 1998 75 with tilt shows a tilt rod dust seal, #24 PN 6H1-43812-00-00

Can either of these dust seals fit the 1996 model OR does anyone know the diameter of these tilt rods measured with a caliper or micrometer?

Thanks for your effort,

crabmann

Comment

Looking at the parts breakdown for 1996 & 1997 75 TLRU the # 17 "power tilt assy " & # 20 " tilt piston sub assy " both of these part numbers are the same for each year, so theoretically the end cap seal, back-up ring & O'Ring should be the same.
          Tony

Comment

Thank you, Unless someone gives me a definitive answer I will take the chance and get the 97 dust seal. I am down to a bare piston and rod. One of the things that is confusing is that there is a tiny roll pin in the side of the piston that to date I have not been able to remove it and I don't know what it's function is. If I can get that out I will attempt to press it apart. I don't know how long they had this one non separable piston/rod/yoke design but I would think that the problem has come up before. Maybe they toss in the towel and pay the almost $500 for the assembly. I'll bet every outboard mechanic in Bangladesh knows the answer because they don't have the money to throw at it.

Maybe someone can tell me what that tiny roll pin is for and how to get it out.

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

One picture of the roll pin will be worth one thousand words of the roll pin.

Comment

Have the pics. What is the URL of my image? Have never been asked that question before.

Comment

place where you are storing the pic on the web
                  like photo bucket etc

if you have it on you computer you can upload it from there if it is not too large, they have limits for size

Comment

tilt piston side Pictures, tilt piston side Images, tilt piston side Photos, tilt piston side Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
                    http://tinypic.com96zsr4/9

Maybe got the second one wrong. Top view shows the larger round hole where the pin can be seen. The side view you can see the end of the pin. Really small.

Did them both again, next 2 replies
                    Last edited by crabmann; 07-12-2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Is that a set screw that appears to be keeping the roll pin from migrating out of its hole?

If so, remove the set screw and see if you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to slide the roll pin outward. The roll pin could very well be the only thing that is retaining the piston to the rod.

Might need a bit of heat on the piston to open up the hole so that the roll pin can move a bit more freely.

If no set screw just work on the roll pin.

Comment

That is an end view of the roll pin on the side of the piston. I will do what i can to remove the pin. The heat has to be minimal so as not to damage the piston.

Another oddity about the piston is that the hole you see on the top of the piston with the roll pin in view. It goes all the way through and out the bottom at a much reduced size. Just a shade under 2mm. this allows oil to flow through the piston bypassing the 5 checkvalves. Not much compared to the volume the checkvales pass, but some.

Thanks

Comment

Sure looks like just a roll pin holding it together...

If that pin goes all the way thru, you should be able to push it thru from the small end...

A trimmed down nail with the correct diameter should work fine...
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM.
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X