Odd Noise from 2013 Yamaha 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Noise from 2013 Yamaha 115

I have an odd noise coming from my 2013 Yamaha 115. To me it sounds like a metal to metal bearing noise. It is sporadic and intermediate. It never happens on start up, only after running the engine for at least a few minutes at normal speeds. There is 84 hours on the outboard. Below is a youtube video of an example of the noise over the weekend. It occurs through out the 31 sec video, but the best example of the noise occurs at 24 sec. At times the noise is more consistent, but this was the worse case example from the weekend. It may be difficult to pickup the noise in the video, because it is no louder than the engine. Listen for short squeaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWiX...ature=youtu.be

Thanks!
    William

Might this be the bushing on driveshaft, fellas? Little grease might solve it?

Comment

yes, at 24 seconds, I would agree that may well be the driveshaft bushing.

When I've heard my F90 do it, I thought "screech" was the best word for it.

Comment

Next time you're at the river get a buddy to operate the boat and remove upper cowling while you look/listen at the motor to try to identify source of sound....I had a certain rattle on mine coming from some throttle linkages....

Comment

I can hardly hear it but agreed, the mid section bushing, when dry will squeak.

When mine was dry, it sounded like a bird chirping some distance away at about 1,800 RPM's..

It is critical to use the correct grease on the shaft / bushing or it'll come back real soon...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Are you able to remove lower unit?? If so, look up inside leg after removing. There is a narrow spot with a bushing that should correspond with shiny spot on driveshaft. Stick some marine waterproof grease there and on shaft where it touches. See if noise goes away.....

Comment

I gather this driveshaft bushing is NOT greaseable with a grease fitting from the outside of the motor?

If I have to pull the lower unit I'll be kinda annoyed. This boat is buoyed at my cottage. I am one of those guys with an unregistered trailer, and the fewer times I use it the better.

Is it way early to change the impeller? Maybe I will have a marina change the impeller and add grease at the same time? I was planning on doing the impeller next spring, when I will be at about 110 hours. This is a pontoon boat, and a lot of time is spent just sitting in the middle of the lake swimming.

Is it normal for it to need grease after only 84 hours?

Comment

It may or may not be that bushing, but if it is it won't destroy the motor to run it like it is until you can pull the lower unit to inspect/grease the thing...

Comment

One way to confirm without removing lower unit. If you look carefully between outside of motor between power head where the drive shaft extends downward, you should be able to see driveshaft through a narrow opening, or a small separation. At least you can on my f150. Spray a good deal of silicone spray and perhaps it will run down shaft and hit the bushing. Should silence it temporarily if that is the issue. Don't mistake shifter shaft for drive, it is much larger. I would post pic but out of town.... Engine does not need to be running to do this.

Comment

May be hard to do much of anything if boat lives in water all the time....

Comment

Originally posted by willy_13 View Post
                      I gather this driveshaft bushing is NOT greaseable with a grease fitting from the outside of the motor?

If I have to pull the lower unit I'll be kinda annoyed. This boat is buoyed at my cottage. I am one of those guys with an unregistered trailer, and the fewer times I use it the better.

Is it way early to change the impeller? Maybe I will have a marina change the impeller and add grease at the same time? I was planning on doing the impeller next spring, when I will be at about 110 hours. This is a pontoon boat, and a lot of time is spent just sitting in the middle of the lake swimming.

Is it normal for it to need grease after only 84 hours?
                      If its never been serviced, it is 3 years old... With the low hours (much sitting), its really due for a WP inspection (actually to change it out.) Lubing that bushing / splines is part of the service.

It won't take them a half day to do both... Heck, you can have breakfast or lunch while waiting...
                      Scott

Comment

Good point towns...give me 300 and I will do the whole smear...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Good point towns...give me 300 and I will do the whole smear...
                          WP kit, $50. Might as well change the LU oil while the LU hanging from the bench, $10.00.

I already have the grease, back up the trailer and you can watch for free!!
                          Scott

Comment

Whats a normal price for having the impeller replaced by a marina?

I am still waiting to hear back from my local marina on a price. They are probably swamped from the holiday.

I was out last night, and did not hear the noise. It would be weird if it did not come back. From reading the internet it seems that these bushings can be noisy at times. I wonder why they do not use a bearing.

And thanks so much for figuring this out for me! I was worried that it was something more serious.

Comment

There's probably a good hour of labor to pull the LU, R&R the water pump, plus parts...

I would think you'd get it all done for under $200.

If you wanted to just grease that bushing, it'd be simply dropping the lower unit, wipe off the drive shaft, maybe clean as best as possible the bushing up in the mid section. Then apply the appropriate Yamaha, waterproof grease to the bushing. Slip the LU back up and your about done..

I used reg wheel bearing grease for boat trailers, that lasted maybe 2 months, do NOT use that. The Yamaha stuff will last much longer depending on usage. 2-4+ years..
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X