40 hp, 4 stroke stopped running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 hp, 4 stroke stopped running

I have a new, 2015 40 hp 4 stroke with 10 hours on it. Last time out, the motor just died while running at around 2500 rpm. Wouldn't start again. The kill switch was ok, the tank vent was open. Tried to squeeze the bulb, but it never seemed to get hard. The motor would try to start and sorta run for a few seconds, then die. Also, the voltage meter stopped working. Took it back to the dealer and it ran perfect when they got it in the shop. Sounds like an electrical or gas supply problem to me. My question is, anybody else have an issue with the fuel or electrical system in this new motor. I got rid of my last boat because it wasn't reliable, and I am somewhat snakebit now. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Not that I think that it is the problem but when you used the primer ball did you hold it vertically with the outlet on top? It will pump much better that way.

Having said this, your model is fuel injected. There should rarely ever be a time that you need to use the primer ball.

Hard to say from a distance what your problem may be but I would inspect all things electrical. Battery cable connections at both end and any other battery related cables on the motor that you may see. Then move up to the helm (or the tiller handle) and inspect all things electrically related up there. Disconnect and reconnect all connections. Make sure they are clean and tight.

Is the boat new or is this a repower? If an old boat it can cause the motor to not run right. The motor then takes the hit when it is not the fault of the motor. If I buy a perfectly good milk cow and feed her bad food, and she stops giving milk, is it the cows fault?

I don't see a fuel related problem causing the volt meter to stop working at or about the same time that the motor stops working.

Comment

Boscoe, I think the hint here is "The motor would try to start and sorta run for a few seconds, then die." That sounds more like fuel than electrical. So my question to the OP is - what changed between the time of his failure and the test at the dealer? Did he add fuel to the tank? I'll bet he did. Sounds like a portable tank - "tank vent was open" - and as you mentioned, has the fuel been contaminated by an old tank? But more importantly - How has the engine behaved since the test at the dealer? Is he chasing ghosts?

Comment

The F40 EFI motor won't run without electrical power. Electrical power is displayed on a voltmeter. Well sort of anyway.

I would want to know more about the voltmeter not working before I proceed to chase rabbits down a hole.

I don't see a fuel problem causing a volt meter to stop working. Stop working at or about the time the motor acted up? Would be a big coincidence for the volt meter and the fuel system to act up at exactly the same time for a completely separate reason.

Intermittent electrical connections can cause all sorts of mayhem and be hard to find. Work fine one minute and be no good the next minute. Take it to the dealer and it runs just fine. Fuel systems? Not so much.

But I have been wrong numerous times before and will continue to be so in the future.

Comment

boscoe - thanks for the feedback.
          Last edited by RayBersch; 07-06-2016, 05:37 PM. Reason: damn auto correct!

Comment

more info

Thanks for the input, guys. To answer your questions: the boat is brand new, 17 ft. Carolina Skiff. The engine failed on Sunday, 2 weeks ago, I took it back on Tuesday. They called Friday to let me know they could find nothing wrong. The tank was full when I took it to the dealer, as I had topped it off before going fishing, and it only ran about 10 minutes before quitting. Haven't had it out since the dealer.
            I'm thinking electrical,too. I did check the starting battery connections, and everything was tight. Haven't looked under the console; I guess that is the next step.
            Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The voltmeter started working at the dealership too??

I'd be looking under the console for some not fully tightened connectors...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have a 2014 f40, and I had an issue where my motor cut off while idling and would not start again. I took it back to the dealer and my electric fuel pump quit on the motor and there was a recall on the mechanical pump as well. After the repair it's run perfect ever since.

Comment

not sure if related to your problem, but we run the f40s on our glass bottom boats and semi submarines for a commercial tourism operation and we had problems with the fuel cooler getting blocked by algae and sand etc this would cause it to stall at low revs and not want to start, not related to volt meter not working but if you need more info....

Comment

Working...
                  X