1991 Yamaha Outboart Prop Spins in Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Yamaha Outboart Prop Spins in Neutral

Here is another issue that just developed with my 1991 Yamaha 200 TXRP Outboard motors. For the 2 years I have owned them the props would not turn when the boat was in the water and would only turn VERY slowly when on the ears. 2w ago I noticed the Port counter-rotating motor prop was turning way too fast on the ears and since have noticed it also spins pretty fast in neutral in the water.............and actually causes the boat to drift forward. On land the Starboard prop spins several times with light pressure from your finger but the Port prop spins over much harder. It does spin both directions...forward/reverse indicating is is not fully engaged but it clunks when doing this whereas it never use to NOR does the other one.

I have done a bunch of thread reading and was told by a mechanic that this is normal as the threads also said so but I'm NOT convinced at all....prop should not turn that fast at all...ESPECIALLY when it never use to until 2 weeks ago. I own 4 of these motors on 2 boats and 3 of them spin over freely and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SPIN WHEN IN WATER IN NEUTRAL.

I don't know how the main shaft connects to the prop shaft but is seems as if a clutch is partially engaged....anyone have any advice ??? I did try playing with the shifter in both directions and changing the gear oil neither of which helped.....when I slowly push it to reverse it never frees up before locking in reverse.
    Last edited by Doc Z....; 07-05-2016, 07:11 PM.

if the shift linkage is set properly when in neutral and this still happens maybe the shift shaft got bent/twisted

Comment

As far as I know I have never hit anything with the prop. I'd just like to know if there is a clutch pack inside that may not be disengaging or should I take the lower unit off and replace something..........I don't agree that this is normal.

Comment

There isn't any clutch pack...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          There isn't any clutch pack...
          Damn........then what would cause the prop to partially engage enough to spin with the motor is in neutral but not enough for it to be locked in gear and still spin backwards by hand ???

Comment

Reading your first post, it sounds like its partially in gear.

As posted above, possibly bent shifter linkage or out of adjustment.

You may want to disconnect the shifter cable at the engine and make sure
            the engine is indeed at the "neutral marks" (on the fwd /rev slide).

With that definitely in neutral, try it on the muffs.

I gather the spinning is as fast as if IN GEAR (when it should be in neutral?)

Any forcing of the shifter(for that engine) into gear when not running??

Your LU parts fisch:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-05-2016, 06:41 PM.
            Scott

Comment

Yes it certainly feels like it is slightly engaged in forward and spins fast...........I could not get it to change when moving the shifter slowly into reverse.....it went from being tight to directly into reverse...........problem is in the water unless you are fast at putting it in neutral grinds.

I suppose I could trace the shifter cable and disconnect it on the engine to see for sure but I figured moving it with the console shift lever would tell me if it were out of adjustment. Roughly where is the shifter cable on the engine on the Port counter-rotating motor ??

Comment

You'll have two cables going into the engine, throttle and shifter.

For the shifter, you should see what looks like a slide that the cable attaches to. Remove the cable from that. On that slide, you should see markings dead center, that IS NEUTRAL for the engine/LU. Make sure that's dead nuts on.

You can spin the prop as needed to make sure your in neutral. Start on the muffs and see what happens. You should also be able to shift it at the "slide" in forward and reverse and it should shift (and behave) normally.

To check cable adjustment, make sure the control box is in neutral. (You may want have a helper shift the box in forward and reverse(not hooked to the engine) and make sure its moving FULLY forward and back-pretty important as you watch the cable at the engine end)

The cable is properly adjusted when it and the engine are both in neutral and the cable end basically lines up / drops dead nuts on the engine. Adjust accordingly if it does not line up...
                Scott

Comment

At this stage you should look at your oil.

From left field, if your oil is too viscous it may produce these symptoms but probably not to the extent you outlined.

Thicker oil can be caused by a slurry forming from grinding down of metal, or even water thickens the oil.

Nevertheless your oil will tell if something has failed.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                    At this stage you should look at your oil.

From left field, if your oil is too viscous it may produce these symptoms but probably not to the extent you outlined.

Thicker oil can be caused by a slurry forming from grinding down of metal, or even water thickens the oil.

Nevertheless your oil will tell if something has failed.
                    Both units have the same oil which was changed a month ago....I changed it again in the Port motor and it looked fine....no filings or color change.

Comment

You'll have two cables going into the engine, throttle and shifter.

For the shifter, you should see what looks like a slide that the cable attaches to. Remove the cable from that. On that slide, you should see markings dead center, that IS NEUTRAL for the engine/LU. Make sure that's dead nuts on.

You can spin the prop as needed to make sure your in neutral. Start on the muffs and see what happens. You should also be able to shift it at the "slide" in forward and reverse and it should shift (and behave) normally.

To check cable adjustment, make sure the control box is in neutral. (You may want have a helper shift the box in forward and reverse(not hooked to the engine) and make sure its moving FULLY forward and back-pretty important as you watch the cable at the engine end)

The cable is properly adjusted when it and the engine are both in neutral and the cable end basically lines up / drops dead nuts on the engine. Adjust accordingly if it does not line up...
                      Thanks....I will check that this week when I can get a helper.

Comment

Your LU parts fisch:

1991 200TXRP Yamaha Outboard LOWER DRIVE 1 Diagram and Parts
                        Sorry...just noticed the link you posted......what is part 55....Clutch Dog ?? Is that something that could be partially engaged ??
                        Last edited by Doc Z....; 07-05-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Yep, that's most likely what your hearing click.

It slides forward and back engaging forward and reverse gears.

If its not moving fully in either direction, it'll click and not fully engage.

We want to check the adjustment at the upper end of the engine to make sure its going back to center, eliminating the clicking and possible partial engagement..
                          Scott

Comment

Yep, that's most likely what your hearing click.

It slides forward and back engaging forward and reverse gears.

If its not moving fully in either direction, it'll click and not fully engage.

We want to check the adjustment at the upper end of the engine to make sure its going back to center, eliminating the clicking and possible partial engagement..
                            Thanks.....I will post what I found as soon as I can look at it.

Comment

Working...
                            X