Yamaha 40FM 6E9 Power Loss Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 40FM 6E9 Power Loss Problem

My friend recently bought a second hand Yamaha 40FM 6E9 outboard motor. The person who sold it to him said that the motor was playing up at times and proceeded to show us what was happening i.e.:

1) At low rpms the motor works fine.

2) Upon increasing throttle to half/three quarters way the motor speeds up, only to lose power/bog down and 'shiver' after some 15 or 20 seconds and continue moving forwards at a very slow pace (close to idle), as if not enough fuel was available or not being ignited.

3) Once this happened, we had to reduce throttle and leave it idling for a couple of seconds more before attempting to speed up again, at which point the smae thing happened again.

4) Funny thing was that when we increased throttle to three quarters way and then decreased it to idle, some seconds later the problem re-manifested itself.

5) We also tried playing around with opening and closing the air jets and also connected the fuel directly to the engine (by-passing the filter) to no avail.

Hence we dismantled and cleaned the carburettor, replaced the fuel filter, sparking plugs, fuel lines, gaskets, oil seals, fuel pump with original parts....everything we could think of and assembled everything again.

We also installed an original yamaha fuel tank

....As yet, the problem still persists.

We are now thinking that it could be a problem with the coil???

Any comments/suggestions shall be greatly appreciated.

Not familar with that model but it could be going into rpm reduction(warning mode). Check the warning buzzer to see if works. If in rpm reduction it wont run over 2000 rpm's.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Will try checking it out.

Comment

quattus,
        I agree with boats.net guy - that motor could be goin into rpm reduction mode, and may be from overheating.
        If that water pump is at least three years old, I would do a repair/kit install. Also, check the thermostat - should be fully open at approx 140 degrees f. - can test in a pan of heated water - should be open fully at 0.120 inches.
        There should be a thermo switch mounted in the head assy or nearby in the water jacket - that switch is designed to close at approx 180 degrees f. to indicate an overheat condition. When this happens, the alarm should sound and motor should go into "rpm reduction" mode. You throttle back to neutral and let the motor idle for a few minutes and the alarm will usually turn off (the thermoswitch just re-opened at approx 160).
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X