Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump housing stuck

Hello,

I was replacing my impeller on my 2007 70tlr and noticed a lot of corrosion on the base under the steel plate and gasket (part name is water pump housing, see picture). I know it's not usually replaced, but the surface is no longer flat and doesn't look like it could make a good seal. I'd like to replace it, but the darn thing is on there tight. I've tried prying it with a screw driver, but so far no luck. Any tips for getting it off? Am I correct to replace it?

From the looks of it, it's been corroded for a while and the shop I take it was just replacing the impeller without taking all the plates off and cleaning and checking for corrosion. I'm glad I decided to start doing it myself.

Thanks,
    Attached Files

Heat usually does the trick. Corrosion over time hardens stiff as cement, yet fairly easy to loosen when heated. Use a pinpoint butane torch to run along edges.

Also, as I'm sure you've now surmised, I'd stop using that mechanic. Lubricating the entire water pump parts only take a few more minutes to perform. You've received piss poor lazy service. But look at the bright side...now you know how to replace the water pump on your own.
    Last edited by Jason2tpa; 07-02-2016, 07:42 PM.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Thank you. I'll try heat.

Comment

Here's the parts fisch for the LU including that "block". Besides the above, if you can pick at the gasket under it (carefully) and spray a penetrant in there may help.

I forgot, but I don't think (and I don't see), an alignment pin for that block to the LU. Just the 4 bolts hold it. If you have a new part, you can verify (or someone can advise). Point being, if there's no pin between the two, some sideways impacts (not super hard) may help break it loose

2006 and Later 70TLR Yamaha Outboard LOWER CASING DRIVE 1 Diagram and Parts

Take note there is an outer o-ring and two seals installed in that block as well.

***Oddly, the parts fisch does NOT show a part #, price, availability???? You may want to check into that
        before "attacking" / prying on that block

Good luck and please post back..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-03-2016, 07:39 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I noticed this part being called the wrong thing even on my C40 as far as I am concerned .
          should be oil seal housing as it holds the oil seals.
          Not sure why they do not list the part for your year motor on this sites parts pages , but they have it. 688-44341-01-94
          look up the part # on Yamaha part page and then do a search on this parts area

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com...1494503&Page=1

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            I noticed this part being called the wrong thing even on my C40 as far as I am concerned .
            should be oil seal housing as it holds the oil seals.
            Not sure why they do not list the part for your year motor on this sites parts pages , but they have it. 688-44341-01-94
            look up the part # on Yamaha part page and then do a search on this parts area

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com...1494503&Page=1
            That link isn't working for me^^^...

The link I listed above is from this site...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That is strange as it works when I click on it.

It is just a link to Yamaha site , as this parts site does not list #30 or its Yamaha part number

Comment

Working...
              X