X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 684c s 071779 what year

Hi wonder if anyone can help identify my mariner/Yamaha 15M
    serial 684c s 071779

I asked a local dealer and he said somewhere from 1980 onward but wasnt sure and sent me the 1980 15b/c diagrams which are close but some parts are different.
    Things like the reed valve block shows a 6 reed, but mine only has 4.

any help would be great

cheers
    Mike

What is the complete model identity?

What country are you located in?

Does your motor not have the month and year of production sticker on it?

Comment

This is the only info I can find on the engine I am from Wiltshire in the UK so I would guess it was made for the uk market

Comment

My best guess is that it is circa 1986.

Have you gone to this website to look at all of the Mariner 15 HP models to see if you can find one that has reed valves like yours does?

Mariner Outboard Parts by HP / Serial Range

Comment

What is the part that we are looking at with the 68201 Y12 cast into it?

If you look at certain parts used on a Yamaha 15 distributed in the USA you will note that they use a 682 prefix. For instance, item 1, the upper casing seen here.

1986 15SJ Yamaha Outboard UPPER CASING Diagram and Parts

Looks to me like your motor started life as a 682 prefix model 9.9 HP that was converted to a 15 HP model.

Oh, what is it that you are trying to do?

And finally I will ask you the question I asked of the other Brit. Are you an inner or an outer? Not that it matters to us over here. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

And finally I will ask you the question I asked of the other Brit. Are you an inner or an outer? Not that it matters to us over here. Just wondering.
            Hey Boscoe, you didnt ask the other other Brit how he voted . Should I be offended??

Comment

For 684, and per the attached link, this is a 1978 Japanese Yamaha Mariner
              Yamaha Model Guide
              Chuck,
              1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

"Hey Boscoe, you didnt ask the other other Brit how he voted . Should I be offended?? "

I have been asking Limey's as I come across them. You just came up on the radar (which the Brits invented I might add) screen.

And how did you vote if I may ask?

You have Brexit and Boris. We have Barack, Hillary and The Donald. These are certainly strange times.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  "Hey Boscoe, you didnt ask the other other Brit how he voted . Should I be offended?? "

I have been asking Limey's as I come across them. You just came up on the radar (which the Brits invented I might add) screen.

And how did you vote if I may ask?

You have Brexit and Boris. We have Barack, Hillary and The Donald. These are certainly strange times.
                  Hey Boscoe.
                  Put it this way, I have splinters in my backside. Strange times indeed

Comment

yes when I searched about I couldn't find an exact match but it I found 86 as a close match on on site. The engine has been sat in the late owners garage for best part of 5 years and I have managed to get it running but its running very poor at idle and i found its waterways are quite blocked up so not sure it was flushed to well all them years ago. I have fitted a new impeller and had the head off today and spend most of the day cleaning out the water ways but over all it dont look in to bad condition.
                    But the more i dig around I think your right about it being a converted 9.9 or maybe it just has a 15hp lid on it

oh and that number was from the side of the block of power head

Last edited by mrmikess; 07-02-2016, 03:38 PM. Reason: wrong pic

Comment

Oh and I voted to remain in Europe (and lost) and I hate the Tories and I just feel the world aint a very nice place at the moment and its if we are heading in the wrong direction and where just along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmikess View Post
                        Oh and I voted to remain in Europe (and lost) and I hate the Tories and I just feel the world aint a very nice place at the moment and its if we are heading in the wrong direction and where just along for the ride.
                        I should have realized that you might have been a Brit given the "cheers" before your name.

Cheerio ole chap!

I agree with you that the world is not a very good place right now. We were told here by our government that the Iraq's would be welcoming us with open arms. Me thinks our government lied.

But now that we have the attention of some Brits, what in the hell were you guys thinking when you established Israel in 1948 and put it right in the middle of every Jewish enemy in the world? I don't think a worse place could have been chosen.

Comment

Probably because we have a long history In meddling in affairs around the world remember the British empire ? Israel and Palestine is a mess that should never have happend the way it did, but I guess back then they thought they where doing the right thing.
                          I do wonder if you went to Iraq now and asked them If they where glad we came to save them from Saddam what the answer would be or if you would get out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmikess View Post
                            yes when I searched about I couldn't find an exact match but it I found 86 as a close match on on site. The engine has been sat in the late owners garage for best part of 5 years and I have managed to get it running but its running very poor at idle and i found its waterways are quite blocked up so not sure it was flushed to well all them years ago. I have fitted a new impeller and had the head off today and spend most of the day cleaning out the water ways but over all it dont look in to bad condition.
                            But the more i dig around I think your right about it being a converted 9.9 or maybe it just has a 15hp lid on it

oh and that number was from the side of the block of power head

That surely does look like a six petal reed cage with but four petals being used. Strange. Very strange. Looked at a number of Yamaha and Mariner models and I will be damned if I can find anything that looks like that.

What markings do you find on the carburetor?

Perhaps the carburetor needs to be cleaned. Might be possible to put the six petals reed cage in and increase the size of the jets for a bit more power. Who knows.

Comment

yes i found on another forum that It looks like some 9.9 and 15 where fitted with 2 petal one for some reason maybe to make for fuel efficient I dont know and also Boyesen make part number b322 for them so must be a few around. If can pick up a 3 petal one and a matching carb I will swap it out. If not I will open the stops a little on these ones as the opening is so small they look like they are more for a 5hp.
                              the only numbers i can find on the carb are 6e773 9h

Comment

Working...
                              X