Fuel Injector Check/Clean/Replace-SX150TXRZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Injector Check/Clean/Replace-SX150TXRZ

As a lot of you know, I recently did a tear down, cleaning, and reassembly of my motor due to my first overheat problem and finding clogged cooling passages.
    It does run great, starts on the dime, accelerates like a shotgun, and never misses a beat. Plugs are burning with a nice chocolate brown porcelain insulator color. Actual WOT rpm is 4,800, within max range of 4,500 to 5,500 (I'd like to reach 5,000 or a bit above). Boat is fully loaded, with a four blade prop (Pitch and diameter, I forget).
    I'm now at the stage of fine tuning all the components/systems within the motor. I'm replacing somewhat soft fuel rail hoses that lose black residue If I rub them with my thumb. I'm also adding a fuel management sensor and meter.
    When I first got the boat/motor, I did have fuel system issues (Clogged VST filter, bad O2 sensor, misadjusted oil pump link (way too much).
    Do you guys think I'm going overboard if I pull, check, clean, and replace if necessary the fuel injectors. In the 15 years this motor has been in service, they have never been pulled (still has factory yellow paint on the fuel rail bolts). I'd like to check fuel economy with my new fuel management system before and after the fuel injector service if I decide to do so. If I don't get the WOT rpm I'd like after this, I may think of reproping.
    Townsends, so much for "Kiss", huh. But, I do want to get maximum performance out of her!

Please give me your opinions/advice.

Thanks, Chuck
    Last edited by cpostis; 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM.
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

There's nothing wrong at all keeping her running tops!.

Testing/cleaning the injectors certainly can't hurt.

One thing I preach, and have good results with, is using RingFree regularly.

If not using it, oh well, you know where I'm going...

Question, did your engine ever rev higher (ie has RPM's lowered over time/wear?) or was that RPM always about there...

If its dropped, obviously, something needs addressing.

Side note, my F150 has been in service since early 2007(bought new and re-powered). It still has pretty low hours but the injectors are original, never cleaned, VST filter checked once (under warranty), never replaced. The engine winds up to 5,900 RPM at 45 mph, (IE its running great!).
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks Townsends Scott!
      I do recall getting 5,000 WOT out of her pre-rebuild rpm at 38MPH. Funny thing, I now at 4,800 rpm WOT get 42 MPH. This is per GPS. May be because of going with strong current in Indian River (Intracoastal Waterway, here in Sebastian).

Anyway, I just checked the VST and fuel pressure regulator filters. Clean as a whistle. Fuel in the VST and fuel rails clear as a bell.

Here's what I'm gonna do. Re-install w/new fuel rail hose, wait until my fuel management sensor/meter comes in and install/calibrate. Check/record, at various rpms fuel economy and WOT rpm. Go ahead and pull, have tested/cleaned fuel injectors by Fuel Injector Man, in Naples. FL (See link). Check/record again as above and compare w/pre-cleaning records. I'll let all know the findings. including the report from the fuel injector guy.Fuel Injector Service,Outboards,Marine,Motorcycles,ATV,Yamaha
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Great idea.

I didn't know that business was down there. Its about an hour south of me!

I'll be saving that link (for later potential use), tks!
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X