F40TLR 2001 Shift Cable Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40TLR 2001 Shift Cable Problem

If anyone can help with this I would really appreciate it. I am pretty sure it is something that I am doing wrong but I cannot figure out what, and it is making me crazier than ususal.

I am installing a 2001 Yamaha 4 stroke on my pontoon boat. It is remote control and I cannot seem to get enough adjustment out of the shift control cable. I am using Teleflex cables. I have been trying without the motor running and shifting the linkage into neutral while spinning the prop by hand. There just does not seem to be enough adjustment to reach neutral. When the 704 binnacle mount stick is straight up and the cable is adjusted out all of the way, it is still engaged in forward.

The procedure is to shift the motor manually into neutral by moving the shift mechanism on the motor. The propeller should turn freely in either direction.

Place the shift handle into neutral. Straight up.

Rotate the fitting at the end of the shift cable (inward or outward as needed) until the hole in the fitting slips right over the shift mechanism pin. Tighten the jam nut to keep the fitting from rotating. Then use the cotter pin on the shift pin to keep the fitting from coming off.

Don't try to shift the motor into either gear if the motor is not running. It can be impossible if the shift mechanism in the lower unit is not in phase.

Comment

Thanks boscoe99. Pretty sure that is what I was doing.

I have the handle on the shift mechanism straight up (neutral position) and the linkage beneath the carbs in neutral where the prop rotates freely and does not click. In other words, I am trying to get the clutch dog in the center between forward and reverse.The issue is that I am running out of adjustment on the cable ends. That just seems wrong.

Comment

Here are a few thoughts, is the control in neutral ? Do not assume that because it is "in the middle " that it is in neutral . On some controls you can remove the lever and ' index it " they are on splined shafts with multiple positions. Also by any chance have mixed up the shift and throttle cables? It can only go one way , this should be a easy fix , just look for simple stuff , good luck , let us know, btw , to tell you are in neutral, you should be able to engage " throttle only "

Comment

Working...
        X